Loach ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone ID this Loach They eat snails. :ermm:

Attachments

• fish_2681 copy.jpg
    fish_2681 copy.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 92
  • fish_2683 copy.jpg
    fish_2683 copy.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 83
Looks like it.

Botia species of loaches will devour any snails you have.

Caleb

Guess my 4 angelicus botia don't read the book because I've had my snails for a month and still kicking.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guess my 4 angelicus botia don't read the book because I've had my snails for a month and still kicking.

That's strange! We had one and it are all of our snails.

Caleb

I've had my loaches for 8 months before I added my 3 olive nerite snails . A person I know was going to just take them out of the tank and throw them away. I figured they are slower moving snails and blend into their surroundings and what do they have to lose. It's worked so far.

Thanks. I never thought it was a YO YO . I had one jump out of the tank. Where the opening was for the filter, I found him on the other side of the floor. Maybe one of our dogs picked him up. But I didn't see any bite marks at all.

Thanks. I never thought it was a YO YO . I had one jump out of the tank. Where the opening was for the filter, I found him on the other side of the floor. Maybe one of our dogs picked him up. But I didn't see any bite marks at all.

They are yoyo loaches, you can see a distinctive Y on their back. That's how you identify them.

Here's a pic of one of my angelicus botia.

Attachments

• 1445766081904.jpg
    1445766081904.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 79
Thanks! It's a 55g column style tank with 3 oto's, 4 angelicus botia, 3 bolivian rams, 1 keyhole cichlid and a honey gourami.

I've had my loaches for 8 months before I added my 3 olive nerite snails . A person I know was going to just take them out of the tank and throw them away. I figured they are slower moving snails and blend into their surroundings and what do they have to lose. It's worked so far.

They generally only go after smaller snails. Also, Nerites are hard to knock off the glass, so they may try a few times, then give it up and not bother with them anymore. I have kept nerites with loaches for years. Pond snails or mts that come with plants are gone though. I never even know I had them until I find shells sometime afterward.

Ooh.... Pantaloons de fancie!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't help it! The entirety of loach taxonomy underwent a pretty big revision in the last decade. Now some people think lohachata is a different species altogether.... It's a mess :lol:

Or basically ever cichlid genus lol specifically Central American species lately

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very true. But im finding discus is baaaad. I start looking at different breeders stocks and each one has a pigeon blood named something different than the next. None of them call it a pigeon blood. I get the nature of taxonomy, but dang.

Very true. But im finding discus is baaaad. I start looking at different breeders stocks and each one has a pigeon blood named something different than the next. None of them call it a pigeon blood. I get the nature of taxonomy, but dang.

I've seen that poppa. It's like everyone has their own image of what a Pigeon Blood looks like...

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom