loach jumped out of bucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I cleaned my 29 gallon tank today and took out the UGF. I had a water bucket with my angelicus loaches in it and one jumped out. I didn't notice it right when it happened so I don't know how long the fish was out but it was still wet and flipping around on the floor when I scooped it up.

I put it in the 10 gallon QT which has a filter, a heater, and a bubble curtain and stays around 86F. The fish initially swam around upside down and could not right itself. I've left it in the tank and cut the lights off. It has gradually stopped swimming around so much and now it seems to have righted itself and it swims around on the bottom. It will sit still for a moment or two but it is still acting jerky and confused and it will swim off and bump into something every now and then. It looks as though it is trying to hide, which is very common with stressed fish, especially loaches. It has been over 2 hours since the fish got out of the tank. I know what will happen will happen but I just want to know if it is possible that this fish may make it?

I should have put them in the QT from the beginning. I just didn't think I'd be working as long as I did to remove the UGF.

If he's showing signs of improvement, he may pull out of it, it sounds promising. If it stresses him to not be able to hide, is there something you could put in there for him to feel more secure?
I have a male betta that doesn't like not having a hiding spot. I was hard-pressed to find something for the tiny tank he's in, but he's perfectly happy with the tiny glass bowl I found and put in there for him to 'hide' in. Of course, since it's glass, I can still see him, but he feels secure.
Something like that might be perfect for your loach. It shouldn't contaminate the qt tank, and you'd be able to see him through it so he could be monitored.
If there's anything I've learned for sure since starting in the aquarium hobby, it's that a sick fish you think is gonna die can make it and thrive, and a fish that you thought was perfectly healthy might be floating up to that big aquarium in the sky the next time you see them. Good luck!

hiding spots

The loach is still alive. It keeps sticking it's head between rocks like it's trying to hide it's face or something.

I've got some decorations and some PVC tubing for loach hiding spots. It just seems to keep trying to wedge itself between something. The fins are very erect, especially the dorsal fin. I don't know if that means much or not.

Thanks for the input.

loach okay?

The loach seems to be acting better. I'm encouraged since the incident happened over 6 hours ago.

That's great! Hopefully, you'll be able to look back on this as a bonding moment...I know I'm more attached to fish that I've saved/rescued. It DOES seem that since it's been this long, he really might be okay! You must have gotten him just in time :wink: That's what I call a great catch!

doin okay

This morning it was doing great. I think it will live. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom