Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I was at a Petco (don't scold me) to get dog food and I decided to snoop around in the aquatics section. I noticed a beautiful and lonesome Yoyo Loach getting picked on so I felt obligated to save him. I bought the little guy but now he is alone in my tank. I want to get at least 2 more loaches for him, so my question for you all is:

Can I keep 3 different species of loaches having 1 of each species

OR

Should I try to find two more Yoyos.

Don't be ashamed to be at any big chain pet store. There's some that are really good just like there's some mom and pop stores that are really bad. IMO you should get two more yoyos. Good luck and make sure this guy doesn't have anything since he obviously is under stress. He could be fine now but tomorrow he could have ich or anything else.

Cool, I'll try to go back tomorrow and see if they have others in another tank

Since buying my yoyo to help with my MTS issue, which it did..... AMAZINGLY, he's one of my favorite fish. My buddy got one for his pond snail issue and he agrees. They are curious, active, doofy fish.

I love coming down pre work to see all my fish In sleep mode and hes upside down twitching like a dreaming dog.

Anyway, me and him both have one and they are great solo, but I think only so long as other easy going fish are in the tank. If you like him get more. If you like others get something else. Be weary on khuli loaches tho as they're really shy and it prob wouldn't make great company for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

People are too harsh if you buy stuff at big chain stores.. In Northern Virginia all the local fish stores have gone out of business, all we have here is Quantum reefs and the store is so tiny i cant even move around in it and there fresh water section is pathetic.. My 9 tanks in my house have more variety of fish..

Other then that and petland "which is a big chain store but they have really nice fresh water and salt water plants anyway" all there is is petco and petsmart, half my discus, and ALL my other fish have come from the big stores.. I have no choice in the matter.

The problem with all the local fish stores going out of business is they were in business too long and played "old school" so they had nothing as far equipment and plants and so forth, just walls of fish "which were nice" but yea..

Honestly i almost thought about looking into how to get a business loan and start a LFS of my own lol

Update! I went to the Petco first thing this morning to see if they had any Yoyos left. They had 2 so I picked them up and they're currently acclimating. Going to put them in soon! So now there are a total of 3. A nice little squad.

As you have already found, Dojos are among the best creatures to have in a tank. They keep the bottom clean, they are very entertaining and comical, they get along with everyone, they are attractive (especially the goldens) and they have little fear of humans, often even coming up to the glass to see you. You also have to be careful when siphoning because they like to get up close to see what you're doing! I adore them.

As you have already found, Dojos are among the best creatures to have in a tank. They keep the bottom clean, they are very entertaining and comical, they get along with everyone, they are attractive (especially the goldens) and they have little fear of humans, often even coming up to the glass to see you. You also have to be careful when siphoning because they like to get up close to see what you're doing! I adore them.

My only problem with them is good luck ever having small foreground plants :D my adult dug up EVERYTHING he could from Hairgrass to star repens to pogo. They are impossible as long as he's in there :)

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom