Madagascar lace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have tried twice with Mad. Lace plants. Both times, they grew tremendously at first, thrived for maybe 6-8 weeks tops. Then they began to grow smaller and smaller leaves, and completely died in a matter of another month or so. I'm certain they were dead, not just dormant, due to the fact that the bulb/root was a stinking disintegrating mess, not a firm fleshy bulb as I believe it would be if just dormant.

Has anyone succeeded with this plant? Any and all tips, tricks, opinions would be most welcome!

I have not kept this because my tanks are warm for them, as they like 68-72F for best results. It also prefers soft, acidic water. That is all I can tell you, but hopefully someone else will chime in!

I wonder if some nutrient is missing; sorta sounds like its using up its reserves and then keeling over when those nutrients are gone...

I bought three of these bulbs a few months ago with my plant order, and I"ve been afraid to try them! :oops:

If they do better at 68-72 degrees, my tanks are all much too warm as well. I'm curious to see how others have fared with this. Its such an interesting plant!

I do them at room temperature here.
The best luck I have had with them is when I place some type of in substrate fertilizer for them.
Once they have bloomed, I store them in the dark, in a bucket of water that barely covers the plants for about two months.
Once I bring them back out, I make sure they get plenty of ferts and light.
And I usually house them with ottos to keep the algae under control.
I have several bulbs that have gone thru this process twice now, and are doing great.

best,
dino

Is that room temperature in Tennesee, or The N. Pole? Just kidding...
Kasselman has quite a bit on this: low temperature level, strong water movement, soft, acid water, nutrient rich substrate, medium light intensity, and regular rest periods, no dry period. Water values: temp 18 to 26C ph 5 to 7.3 GH 1 to 8 dH (no algae...from Baensch) HTH

I think it's primarily been my temps. Grew them in my 90 gallon, temp 78-80. That must have been it.

I think my other tanks are too low light, so for now I'll pass on them. Thanks for all the info folks, perhaps one day I'll try again.

Back
Top Bottom