magnetic glass cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have used these with Varying success. However I have gone back to the hand held scraper. It seems to work better and is much less costly. :D

Get some scubber pads and go to work...you know...the little dishwashing scubber pads,usually rectangular and colored...cheap as all get out.Those would be them.

Put one in your hand,then put your hand in the tank and do what feels natural lol....thats what I do.

becareful thoguh saome are treated with soaps, the mag floats are nice since they float of they fall apart, but a good razor is good to have if you havea glass tank

I use a mag float for simple algae but it doesn't take off the tough stuff. I use a razor for spot or calcium buildup.

i love my mag float. But my CAE's love the algea, so I hardly ever use it, unless they are not doing a good job for some reason.

My 55g has some horrible brown algea on the front and sides, and no algea eaters in there, but I have a CAE in QT waiting to go in that tank, so the algea will stay so I can make sure he has food. (yes, he will eat it, i watched him eat the same brown algea off the glass in the tank he is in right now right before I was going to take the mag float to it)

Elle - I LOVE my mystery snails - so much so that I have 12 of them in my 29 gallon tank. They come in a variety of colors - I have 2 black, 3 blue, 4 gold, and 3 "magenta". My glass is SPOTLESS - and I have ALOT of glass since my tank is bottomless with only some glass beads for decoration. When they clean the glass you can see their little mouths working - the black ones have a white mouth, the golds have a pink mouth. I can stare at them forever (yes, I'm VERY strange - and I love it LOL).
There's a guy named Tim on eBay (paradiseaquatics) that sells them - and he hand picks all the snails he sells on eBay so you get the best of his brood. You can tell he really cares about the snails when you see the way he packages them.

Interesting. Do you know where he sends them from? I have never ordered anything that is alive online. This is how you got yours? I wonder if he will ship to Canada? That would be fun. Are they expensive? I saw one the other day at my lfs and it was $11 which was more than I expected, but if they are not too sensitive I would be willing to pay that... I just hadn't really considered them until I discovered that my glass is pretty dirty.

Ah rats, I forgot you're in Canada. He's in Florida and there are restrictions in some states on these snails and he can't ship to Canada :( They're not expensive at all - I got most of mine for $1.50 to $2.00 each - I'm sure you can find them at a more reasonable price.

Edit: I did a yahoo search and found someone in Canada http://www.northernsnails.com/
obviously I don't know how good they are but you can email her and see if she seems responsible.

Edit2: to show how clean my glass is I took a pic. If it weren't for the bubbles you wouldn't even know there was water in the tank - you can see straight through to the bookselves which are about 6 feet away from the tank - so well that you can read the "King" on one of my Stephen King books !

I like the Mag-Floats. I find that when using it, I don't press against the glass because the magnets pull it instead, so i don't worry that I might be pushing too hard with the brush and have the glass burst or something.

joannde said:
Ah rats, I forgot you're in Canada. He's in Florida and there are restrictions in some states on these snails and he can't ship to Canada :( They're not expensive at all - I got most of mine for $1.50 to $2.00 each - I'm sure you can find them at a more reasonable price.

Edit: I did a yahoo search and found someone in Canada http://www.northernsnails.com/
obviously I don't know how good they are but you can email her and see if she seems responsible.

Edit2: to show how clean my glass is I took a pic. If it weren't for the bubbles you wouldn't even know there was water in the tank - you can see straight through to the bookselves which are about 6 feet away from the tank - so well that you can read the "King" on one of my Stephen King books ![/quote

Thanks! That's very kind of you.... I will look into this right now.. er. I mean when I am done work. :wink:

Your tank is very clean... I'm not sure what's going on with mine.... its only been up for 4 weeks and now that I see yours I know that mine isn't so clean.

I wish I could tell you why its so clean, but I can't - I have NO idea, but I sure wish I knew so that I could be sure to keep it up LOLOLOL

I think one of the things that really helps is that my tank is "bottomless" (ie: no substrate, just those scattered glass beads). NOTHING lasts on the bottom of that tank with the pandas and the snails, and the filter removes the poo :) I don't even use carbon in the filter.

I'm almost afraid to "mess things up" when I plant it - its SOOOOOOOOO clear right now.

in tennesse all my lfs stopped selling snails of all kinds, they are becoming a problem, since people are putting them into local steams and lakes. messing up the natural eco-system. has anyone seen this happen or herd of a ban on fw snails

Back
Top Bottom