Making sure all fish are feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren1977

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, first post.

I have a 50 gallon fresh water community tank. Using a white sand substrate and blue LED lighting (I tell everyone that cause I love the look, reef effect without the cost!)

Anyway, I have two goldfish that I've had a few years now, around six inches in length.

I have 5 neon tetra, 2 other tetra.
Three tiger barbs
3 rasboras
1 glass catfish (getting more)

The problem I am having is making sure all fish are feeding.

The goldfish are typically greedy so I try to distract them with a mid sized pellet whilst adding food elsewhere for the smaller fish.

The tetras and barbs seem to make sure they get in on the act but the catfish and rasboras are missing out.

Ive bought some some high protean food and blood worms today to encourage the cat fish to feed but wondered if anyone has any other advise?

Is it simply that the goldfish will always be too greedy in such a tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish are greedy. They are also incompatible with your other fish because they are cold water. I'm sure they would enjoy a cold water tank of their own, a 40 B would work well.

Also the other fish would benefit from it because Goldies can put quite the strain on the bacteria in the tank. Your other fish would be fed fine if you rehome or retank the goldies. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes you have to be blunt about things.

Glad you are getting more cats though. When you rehome the goldies, I would get 3-5 more of the same species of rasboras you currently have, I would add 5 more to the tetra species that aren't the cardinals, and I would call it stocked. You might be able to add a DG or pearl gourami. This is all if you rehome the goldies or put them in their own tank.

Hi all, first post.

Ive bought some some high protean food and blood worms today to encourage the cat fish to feed but wondered if anyone has any other advise?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The cat will start feeding once he has some buddies. How many more do you plan on getting? They prefer schools of atleast 5 I believe, but the more the merrier.

Back
Top Bottom