making your own algae wafers - how to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frog girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have an over abundance of algae (filamentous) which I am always harvesting from my pond. If I put some in cooky cutters & bake it in the oven for a while that should dry it out & kill bad stuff. Could I then use these wafers to feed fish?? I could always mix in a little sprirulina or seaweed from a healthfood store to make it more nutritious.

Ideas? Thoughts? Comments??

I know I am always coming up with crazy idea but maybe some of them will work. I would really appreciate any input at all since I have never actually seen a commercially made algae wafer. Should I just try it & see what happens? What dangers might I face besides a smelly kitchen.

p.s. I would be feeding otos, a snail, & my tiger barbs which like to pick at such things. later I will have khuli loaches & rainbows too.

I did it once, it was a deep green furry algae, and it worked ok I guess. Overall it was a lot of work for not a whole lot. As I recall, everyone liked it, but I gave up do to the labor.

I so want some of that furry algae for my pond. Anyone have a start from a cold water setup they would be willing to share? Right now the filamentous is dominating.

Anyway I think I will give the homemade wafers a try. Thanks for the input.

Any other opinions are most welcome.

Menagerie is that an offer I hear??

I could start a mail order homemade algae wafer business. Hearts for valentines day, x-mas trees at x-mas. I could even include bits of dehydrated veggie for decorations.

I WILL BE RICH!! :mrgreen:

yeah right . . .

Back
Top Bottom