Male pearl gourami just isn't acting right... thoughts?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 4 pearl gouramis, 1 male and 3 female. Females are active and eat great. Colour on all females is the same and is to what I would expect from a healthy fish. All other fish in the tank appear to be perfectly normal as well.

-Temp is around 81
-nitrates 10ppm
-heavily planted 75g
-feed daily with skipping a day or 2 a week
-I feed NLS pellet and flakes, frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp, fresh veggies like spinach and zucchini
-tank is 11 months old
-no fish aggression as I have all docile community fish.

So my male is the largest of the pearls. He was always good and had good colour and ate well. The last month or so something has been off. He doesn't eat as much and his activity level is a little less than normal. Just doesn't seem super happy. Maybe a bit under the weather but I can't see anything visible. He still has most of his colour but the orange throat is faded and his body is maybe a tad duller than before (not sure about this but I think so).

I just have been focusing on keeping water parameters in check with 5-10nitrates and adding more plants on the surface. I am noticing a slow improvement but it’s slow. Any thoughts on what’s up? What are some things I can do to make him super happy?

Also I would like to make the tank calmer, basically taking off the spray bar or redirect it in a way to not disturb too much. Problem is I feel like the tank will become dirty with waste and such because the flow / circulation will be compromised. So how do you folks keep your gourami’s tank still / calm yet still have clean tanks where debris won't build on substrate.

Because my tank is heavily planted I can't vacuum the tank. So how can I keep the tank clean but kill a lot of the water movement to make my fish happier? I doubt the flow is what’s causing my male to act up as it’s been this way since day 1 in the tank. If it was a big problem they would have been showing signs of stress from the beginning.

Please help.

How old is he?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was told when I bought them they were approx 6-8 months old.

But i don't know if they were full of beans or not. which would make them around 16 months or so now.

gouramis can live a long time so i don't think its age related at all.

If he was in crap conditions for a year than it could have taken a toll?? Is he pooping?

he is pooping a little, but its because he is eating a little. if i had to compare him to the other gouramis i would say he is a little blah feeling compared to his girls.

but other than what i stated, no other signs of anything.

Maybe he's a little backed up.

i keep trying to feed peas but only my blue gourami and the cardinal tetras will eat them

Always an Epsom salt bath??

Back
Top Bottom