Master Test Kits....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a question for everyone/anyone:

What's the easiest, most reliable freshwater master testing kit?

I've been using dip tests but I know that they're unreliable and inconsistent. I'm ready to take the plunge into a master kit but I don't want to pursue a master's degree in chemistry. Please advise...

Take the plunge.

I am absolutely all for the Freshwater Master Test Kit. It's easy, very reliable, quick and (almost) idiot-proof.
For example, in the ammonia test you fill the tube up to line with water from the tank, drop eight drops from each of the two of the ammonia bottles, cap the tube, and shake five seconds. Wait five minutes. Compare to ammonia card.
Then they take those simple instructions and number them; giving you every detail you would ever need.
It's easy beyond easy with great accuracy. And the tests are going to last you a long while.
So my vote is to go for it.

I have used almost exclusively AP testkits for over 10 years and I can say honestly there only falt is how difficult it is to read the color chart results. Ive read good things about Wardley's testkit in that regard. HTH

Also the reagents are alot cheaper than the dry strips. I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticlas reagents. I've been pleased with them. I'm sure there are better ones out there but this was cheap and the results seem to be within range.

I would also have to agree with greenmagi sometimes the colors are a little hard to ready to distinguish between the color grids.

I love the AP Mast Test Kit. The only one that is hard to distinguish IMO is the Nitrate. But that's only when it gets to the higher ranges. And if it is that high, then do an immediate water change, regardless of the number. It doesn't matter if it's 40 or 80, water changes are needed until you CAN distinguish the levels. The Nitrite, if you can't tell the difference between 0 and the next level, then you need your eyes checked. :D The ammonia I think is pretty simple also.

I also think the PH test result is difficult to read if your PH is close to inbetween two of the ranges.. like 7.4-7.6.. or low to medium range for example..

There is some difference in the pH. I've tested on the low range and had a reading of the highest color. Then I tested high range and it tested a different reading. But I don't think that has to do with the color. Maybe the actual reagents?

There are some that are close, but when it comes to pH unless its really high or really low, you don't have anything to worry about. I wouldn't let that keep me from buying another AP test kit.

The AP Master test kit is probably the best one, followed closely by the Hagen Master kit.

The cost is cheaper per test. I've had the AP test since October of 2004...I test water each week...there's still a little in the bottles. :)

Nah...sometimes the color charts are hard to read depending on the lighting of the room. What I usually do when I'm not sure is:

Look at chart with light behind me...hold up test tube to match color (if wrong...),
Look at chart with light in front of me...hold up test tube to match color (if still wrong),

Give the color chart and test tube to my wife. :)

Consider that the color charts are printed with ink and it's possible every now and then that the color chart may either be too rich or too dark in the specific color. :?:

Jchillin said:
Nah...sometimes the color charts are hard to read depending on the lighting of the room. What I usually do when I'm not sure is:

Look at chart with light behind me...hold up test tube to match color (if wrong...),
Look at chart with light in front of me...hold up test tube to match color (if still wrong),

Give the color chart and test tube to my wife. :)

Consider that the color charts are printed with ink and it's possible every now and then that the color chart may either be too rich or too dark in the specific color. :?:

ROFL!! Yea that sounds like the AP experiance to me!!!
I really wouldnt mind checking out Wardleys testkit to reduse the "AP experiance" ROFL!!!!!

greenmagi said:
Toirtis.. have you tried all three? How easy is it to interpret the color charts compared to the AP testkits?

I have, and I find the other two superior to the AP....I use Hagen though, as I find the Red Sea difficult to find and expensive locally.

Back
Top Bottom