Missing: Vampire Shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ciantarah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought an awesome Giant African Fan Shrimp (aka Vampire Shrimp) two weeks ago. I think it is female because its front legs are smaller than the pictures of males I've seen online.

After I put her in the tank, she did the disappearing act with a quickness -- I mean, that shrimp was GONE in nothing flat. I have not seen her -- even once -- since then. Nor have I seen any suspicious looking shrimp parts floating around. The biggest thing in my tank (besides the shrimp) is a betta, and my betta is a wuss.

Do you think she is alive, and just extremely shy? Or is she most likely dead somewhere beneath the substrate? :(

How bigs the tank? There's a very real possibility she is hiding, shrimp tend to be very good at that especially when added to a new aquarium. If you don't find her soon just monitor your water lwpevls, if she's dead you'll have an ammonia spike.

Hope she's ok!!! :)

Thanks for the replies. It's a 29 gal, lightly planted (hopefully soon to be more heavily planted). The main decor piece is a large "ruined coliseum" sort of affair that many of my fish hide inside, but I don't think she could get under it... the base is buried at the bottom of the substrate.

There are some river rocks she could probably snuggle under if she tried hard enough... I was afraid to start lifting stuff and stirring stuff around in case I hurt her. Maybe I could gently move the rocks?

I read that vampire shrimp like to bury themselves in the substrate when they aren't feeding, and not come out except at night... at least until they are acclimated. My substrate is small smooth pebbles and sand, and there's a very sandy spot right behind the coliseum that I suspected she would like, but again, don't want to stir up the sand if I can help it. I've shone lights inside at various times after dark and never even caught a glimpse.

Just checked my levels, no ammonia... so I guess I'll keep tabs on the ammonia level and we'll see. Fingers crossed that she will emerge soon!

Vampire Shrimp Missing

Hello,
I just added a Vampire Shrimp to my tank and I have not seen him in about 3 days now...should I still place food near the "cave" that he was staying in? I have a lot of plants and wood pieces with winding holes in them. Could he still be alive and just extremely good at hide and seek? I have a bamboo shrimp and shes out and about almost all day every day.:(

Back
Top Bottom