Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Molly Trouble

I originally bought three black mollies from my local lfs one died within a week and the other was killed by a big apple snail yeah I don't know how the Molly never got away but anyways. For about the last week the lone Molly has been chasing around one of my rainbows staying right underneath it. I first thought it was trying to eat the poo as it was coming of the rainbow. (ive seen the Molly eat the common Pleco feces floating around before even though it is well fed) but I've noticed that the fins on the bottom of the rainbow have been rotting away now. Is the Molly slowly nipping the fin off? Should i rehome the molly? Thanks for all ur help/advice

Old 10-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

mollies are very active fish.
I find them to be very playful and liking to interact with other fish.

If you don't have other mollies around, they tend to bother other fish.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

Do u know if they will start nipping at fins especially just to one fish. I don't know it just seems like strange behavior bit it makes sense it would bother other fish with no schooling partners
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, they have a reputation and tendency to nip other fish (but not to the same degree as lets say Tiger barbs).
Usually mollies are peaceful in nature. But if kept in a too-small tank (with only few other mollies) they can become semi-aggressive.

I found that without tank mates to interact with, they will become "bored" and bother other fish.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I liken Mollies to "tropical goldfish" - they grow large, are very-active and produce a large bioload.

10 gallons per molly imo.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your mollie is a male? If so he prolly wants to breed but doesnt have a female(based on what you described sounds like breeding behavior) and yes mollies are very active fish, have large bioloads... Good luck
Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #7

Thanks for all your responses I ended up bringing it back to the lfs and got a snail hopefully the Molly will be happier in a school

Tags
molly, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com