More Fish Suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satrix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello friends,

I’ve had my tank up and running for about 2.5 months and there are 4 Cherry Barbs and 4 Pepper Cory Cats in there currently. I plan to get the groups up to 6+ for each. But… In the meantime I was wondering if you guys have any delightful suggestions on a fish that is beautiful, compatible (with the above fish) and can be kept single, or in a group of two?

I have been considering inclusion of one of the following (but not all):
a Gourami or two (do the males fight a lot?).
A Killifish (not sure if it would work with the Cherry Barbs).
Or a couple female Betta fish.

They don’t need to go in the tank right now. I just like to think about and plan before purchasing. The tank is a 29-gallon (long) freshwater tank. I have a handful of frog bit at the top; it’s not planted besides that. I’ve been researching, but I’m pretty timid with what types of fish to include. Especially fish with long and pretty fins. I hear some Barbs like to be fin nippers.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and thoughts!

i have cherry barbs and they dont nip at my rams fins. they keep to themselves most of the time

Ohh! Rams, I completely forgot about them. I have pretty hard water where I live, do you think that would cause an issue with them?

Hey Spoonman,

What temperature do you keep them at? Also, is it really soft water?

Gouramis occasionally fight...some more than others, especially in smaller tanks. I'd just get 1.

Killies...well the smaller types are peaceful, but most people keep them in species tanks...just don't have fish in there big enough to eat them. Some larger Killies will eat small fish (Golden Wonder comes to mind).

A Bolivian Ram pair would work nicely. They are more hardy and if you have a lfs pretty close by that sells them, the water may be the same hardness as yours (or close).

And I agree...Cherries aren't nippy. The males tend to chase the females, so you want to keep more females than males...but as far as nipping other fish, they don't do that.

Cherries aren't nippy.

Besides all the other helpful stuff you said, this quote is the best news I've heard all day. The males I have right now just chase each other around, but it seems like a territorial thing and once I get females that should really help.

Rams.. Hmmm, they're so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom