Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Moss

I have Fontinalis and java moss and i wish for it to grow around my ornamonnts ann thing like my heater i was wonderiig how long that will take?

Old 02-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Java moss is a slow grower, in my experience. How much light you have over the tank will greatly influence how fast it grows. In my 10g tank, there's about 2 wpg (watts per gallon) above it, so it grows faster than in my 29g tank with 15 watts over it. If you want the moss to grow on something, you can do a few things:
1. wedge the moss between 2 ornaments, or an ornament and the wall, make sure it isn't getting pinched off, and just leave it.

2. If the water flow is favorable, position the moss so the water pushes the moss against the ornament

3. If all else fails, you can tie it with fishing line to the ornament, or rubber band it.

I just let my moss grow out, and it looks awesome! I need to get some pictures up, but I've got this big piece of "bowl" rock, and my java and christmas moss is all over it, growing into the rock, which looks really cool. I think it grows slowly onto things though, to ensure a proper grip.

I'm not sure what exactly your asking, but your moss will never grow on your heater. It needs a rough surface to grow into, and glass is far from rough

Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

thread works best to tie plants to stuff... by the time the thread rots, the roots of the plant have already taken hold and you dont have to worry about having rubber bands or fishing line in there... works great on plants like java fern and anubias as well since you dont have to worry about removing anything to prevent damage to the rhizome

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com