Most econimical yet accurate PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, etc. Test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wstauffer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm just scratching the surface with this aquarium thing. What are some of the most economical yet accurate tests for water quality? Maybe there is a thread that I have missed somewhere...I'm new here! I have read that test strips are econimical, yet not always as accurate as liquid tests.

I have a feeling I will be a "testing freak" for a while, and all I can find at the LFS is 20 tests for like $15, multiplied by each type of strip. To me that is a lot for something that may have reliability issues anyway. I heard you can get liquid testing kits and then buy refills economically...more tests for the money and more accurate. Is this true? I'm sure that the strips are fine, but thought I would explore the "liquid" alternative. What are some brands/types that you folks recommend or don't recommend...I'm sure there are many choices and opinions, but I need some guidance.

If there is a thread on this, please lead the way for me.

Thanks! Bill

Re: Most econimical yet accurate PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, etc.

wstauffer said:
What are some of the most economical yet accurate tests for water quality?

Cheap does not usually go together when it comes to accuracey. There are some "cheaper" test available, but I think you will find that spending a little extra will save you alot of headaches later on.

Personally I would recommend Salifert.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the info. I realize it is better to spend a little more for quality, but simply wondered if there is a good compromise. Is what you recommended a strip or liquid?

Re: Most econimical yet accurate PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, etc.

steve-s said:
wstauffer said:
What are some of the most economical yet accurate tests for water quality?

Cheap does not usually go together when it comes to accuracey. There are some "cheaper" test available, but I think you will find that spending a little extra will save you alot of headaches later on.

Personally I would recommend Salifert.

Cheers
Steve

Agreed, I also use Salifert ;)

Is what you recommended a strip or liquid?

Salifert uses both powder and liquid reagents depending on the test, and both in some :wink:

Let's see. I totally agree with Steve & RR as far as Salifert kits, and the fact that you probably won't want to buy the cheapest test kit out there. IMO, the Red Sea tests are some of the worst.

I don't know if I'd spend the $$ on Salifert for Ammonia & Nitrite tests, as you'll only use these while cycling, and the results you'll require don't need to be exact.

I would recommend Salifert for Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium & Alkalinity for a bare minumum of tests. I also have Magnesium, Strontium, Silicate, Iodine ... I think that's it. You'll also want a decent Copper test kit for a Quarantine tank.

As far as pH goes, I would definitely recommend investing in a pH monitor. pH is something you want to keep a close eye on, and pH levels can be different at different times of the day. The up-front cost hurts compared to a test kit, but you can monitor the pH constantly, and you only buy it once. It's also far more accurate than a test kit.

For salinity I would definitely recommend a refractometer.

JMO!

Thanks folks for the input. Seems that I had a heck of a time trying to find my original post, then discovered that I accidentally posted in a saltwater/reef forum instead of a freshwater forum...I can assume that (although freshwater can be expensive as well) you folks more than likely have even more to lose with the added expense of not only your fish, but other creatures and "rocks" and stuff.

I think that for now, I will try the Aquarium Pharm. liquid tests sice they are readily avail. at my LFS. As for Saltwater, I am very interested, but feel I should "master" (at least attempt to be successful at) freshwater first.

Lastly, how about a little more info on those PH monitors? Brands?
Thanks! Bill

The most common brand is PinPoint, you can usually pick them up for around 100.00 or less ;)

Moving to the FW general discussion forum.

Back
Top Bottom