MTS ! MTS ! MTS ~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok the first time I came to this site was April 2004. 7 months and now I have got my 3rd tank 8O 8O 8O

Anyways - the new tank is a 15 gallon tall , which a friend gave away to me. :D :D :D
I am going to have it semi planted - mostly aponogotens as I won't have a light strip on it. I am going to set this up in my office.

I am thinking Schultz Aquatic soil like my 29 gallon as substrate.
My 29 gallon came with a Aquatech filter which I replaced with a Emperor 280.
Can I use the Aquatech filter on this 15 gallon ?

What watts heater should I be looking for?

Finally since this is a tall aquarium, what are my options with fish ?

Well, you could go for Dwarf Puffers i think, but then you'd have to go brackish and i don't know if that's what you want. Other then that i don't know really.....since for most fish the bottom surface counts i think you will have a small fishload anyway.
You could also go for a pair of Rams! they're nice and stay small.

Good luck in finding what you want!

:D :D :D

I uses 5 watts of heater per gallon. A bigger heater can maintain the temp quicker than a small one and actually runs less. For you tall tank, a couple of angels would look nice. They tend to stsy in the mid area of a tank.

Pretty sure DPs are not brackish, and I think they'd work out great, especially in a planted tank where they'll munch up the majority of hitchhiker snails.

I like the angels in taller planted tanks, they seem to fit the tank better "geometrically". but, the dwarves are COOL!!! and much funner to watch typically ( but harder to care for I think)

Swan- I have you beat..i got my first tank Aug 1st and now less than 4 months later i just set up my third tank...i've got a bad case of MTS!

hehe, sounds like me, I got mine in january (10 gal), and I just finished setting up my 3rd tank which is a 55 gallon as well. :D

I would put anything in it that you would put in a 10 gallon since the length and width are the same. Angels would get to big for it.

what about some fancy guppies to add color to your tank? They always look pretty in planted tanks... or maybe a nice little school of neon tetras with 3 or 4 pygmy cories for the bottom of the tank.

A few small cories on the bottom, a beautiful pair of German Rams in the middle and a small school of white clouds on the top, add plants, post pics!!

ok, just got some bad news :( I can't have a heater in this tank since I am having this tank in my office - supposedly it can be a fire hazard. So I have to think about cold water fish :(:(
White cloud mountain minnows perhaps ??
Any others ? Any bottom feeders ?

??????? :(

*edit* ooo, maybe youcould just sneak one in and say it is a submersible oxygen purifier specifically made to keep the tank's oxygen supply clean :D Maybe disguise it with an airstone or something.

swanandmokashi said:
I can't have a heater in this tank since I am having this tank in my office - supposedly it can be a fire hazard.

Because a tank full of water is so flammable. I know that when I go swimming, I always bring a fire extinguisher.

*cough*

/jerk

Anyhoo..

I think there are several fish I wouldn't really classify as "coldwater", but don't think they would need a heater.

Unfortunately, if your office has no heat at night, that could be a possible problem. Not only would it be pretty cold, but the temperature would fluctuate wildly.

Yaknow, Rubysoho has a good point - a submersible heater wouldn't be too hard to hide.

The people my 38 gallon came from included a PVC pipe they used over their heater to stop the fish from hurting themselves on it. PVC pipe it, say it's a hiding place for the fish or you're doing a mario/luigi pipe set-up, or just put plants around the pipe. That's what I did.. I can't really even see it anymore, and I know where it is.

Back
Top Bottom