My 4 Angelfish Are HOGS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishesfriend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 angelfish that I've gotten at different times over the last year and they think they're starving. I feed them (and the rest of the fish in my 54g tank) regular flakes, color flakes, and frozen bloodworms (alternating) once to twice a day. They sometimes jump up out of the water trying to get the flakes that I can't drop in fast enough. They are growing well, one's a giant, and they're not skinny by anyone's standards.

Problem: The mature 3 go after everything. All of the sinking pellets for the corycats & loach (the giant can just swallow those whole), cucumbers, & the algae wafer for the poor little bristlenose pleco! I swear they'd eat a burger if I threw it in. When I walk through the hallway they swim to the front top and line up. When I'm within 8-10 ft of the tank in the daytime they do that and then freak out "dancing" from side to side. EVERY single time I'm in the room, not just feeding times and even after they've eaten.

SO: Is this typical? I've not heard of this before other than the coming to front of tank to beg sometimes... Everyone has a different opinion on once or twice a day feedings and fasting day(s) or not, but am I not feeding them enough? Can I not have other fish? Help? :confused:

All I can suggest is try dropping pellets at different spots at once (no doubt you have tried this but just in case). Mine are pretty good but every so often I'll feed sinking wafers at lights out just to get them down to the bumblebee catfish.

Usually Angelfish are not that greedy. What you are saying is characteristics of Oscar fish mainly but different fish have different behavior.

You can use feeding tube for your bottom dwelling fish.

Usually Angelfish are not that greedy. What you are saying is characteristics of Oscar fish mainly but different fish have different behavior.

You can use feeding tube for your bottom dwelling fish.

Feeding tube! I'm going to Google that now. Never heard of it. Since you say that Angels are not usually like that, do you think I need to feed them more?

Feeding tube! I'm going to Google that now. Never heard of it. Since you say that Angels are not usually like that, do you think I need to feed them more?
Feeding tube is like just a tube so food can reach to bottom fish through that without touching by other fish. You can use anything for that purpose like if you have anything you have in your household.

How often you feed your Angels?

Feeding tube is like just a tube so food can reach to bottom fish through that without touching by other fish. You can use anything for that purpose like if you have anything you have in your household.

How often you feed your Angels?

I was feeding them twice a day, but have 3 little Clown Loaches in there now, so they're enjoying the blood and tubiflex worms I put in midday. Not so much the zucchini now though.

Angelfish main diet should be meaty foods so you are feeding good and please no need to increase frequency. Twice a day is sufficient for them and it will keep there aggression in control too. What is your tank temperature? High temperature means hungry fish.

Angelfish main diet should be meaty foods so you are feeding good and please no need to increase frequency. Twice a day is sufficient for them and it will keep there aggression in control too. What is your tank temperature? High temperature means hungry fish.

That's so weird that they act like they're starving every feeding. Maybe just food aggression? Not sure if fish can be that way.

The tank is at 80 degrees.

(thank you everyone for the help. i am new, with only a year with this tank & many of these types of fish)

Back
Top Bottom