My blue goirami is bothering my platties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a blue goirami last week and 2 platties, theyr in my QT tank but i notice that the goirami bothers the platties, i dont want them to get stressd out. I thought they were compatible with each other. Héres a pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398211717.506297.jpg

Gouramis are very territorial in general I had a rianbow gourami that would constantly chase my swordtails.

Hmmm, I would say gourami so that he can state his territory.

i currently have a blue gourami like yours in a 22 gallon tank with 7x cardinal tetra and 3 corycats , and he never bothers any other fish , just is always minding his own business, i think you just got unlucky , if there is a chance of swapping your gourami with a new one at your LFS i would try that :)

Blue gourami have a little spot on their sides and i think their colouring doesnt get quite as dark as the opaline...

Behaviour wise, not sure about the opaline...

The aggressiveness is due to tank size... gouramis get very territorial in smaller tanks, specially males

you can put them both in the display @ the same time. Bigger tank should solve things hopefully

That's definitely an opaline gourami, not blue. And I agree that it should be ok in the big tank with the others. I'd put the swords in first, gourami last. Always (usually) best to put more passive fish in first so the more aggressive one doesn't feel the others are invading his or her space. Keep an eye on the fish for a while tho to make sure you don't just have a "bully". I like all gourami's but pearls and opaline top my list!

Thats an opaline gourami imo btw

And your tank is really nice, lots of territories. Gourami vs gourami aggression would prob be the only thing to watch for....but doubtful

Do you have a spray bar for filter return?
Floating plants make my gouramis very happy

So i should put the platties in and then My goirami? The man at the fish store told me its a blue goirami. Theyv only been ther for a week and a half in the QT tank but if i leave them there any longer my platties Will get very stressd. I have 2 internal filters and i made 2 pipes that go till the end of the tank so that i get a good movement of the water, héres another pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398433806.336543.jpg

Theyr platties not swords. Okay ill put the platties first, the blue and the opaline were in the same tank he told me they were the same, ya i just Went into live aquarium. The platties are in the QT tank for a week and a few days. Can i pasa them today to the display tank? I always keep my new fish in the QT for a month aprox

Theyr platties not swords. Okay ill put the platties first, the blue and the opaline were in the same tank he told me they were the same, ya i just Went into live aquarium. The platties are in the QT tank for a week and a few days. Can i pasa them today to the display tank? I always keep my new fish in the QT for a month aprox

Sorry, I don't know why I was thinking swords...! Yes, you can transfer them today unless you have another QT tank. IMO the stress the platys are going thru in a small space with the gourami may cause more stress and turn into something that QT is preventing. Safe to finish QT time with gourami tho.

Back
Top Bottom