My cousin's tank has tiny worm like things swimming around in it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
She has a 20 gal tank with one red devil and one snail {I know I already lectured her on the size of the tank} Water is cloudy. She noticed them and has done 50% water change and changed out the filTer material. What are they and how can she get rid of them?

Look up planaria and nematodes. It's probably one of those. Can you see a distinct head shape or mouth?

no just very fine thin worm like critters...looking at pics. looks like nematodes. ill tell her to keep up the water changes and cut down on the feedings. Her red devil seems pretty unhappy in there and isnt eating much so i will tell her to make sure to scoop out any uneaten foods. could they be making the fish sick? Can humans get sick from them by puttin hands in the water?

Some nematodes are parasitic and others just eat detritus. I've had some of the detritus eating ones come in with some driftwood but they got munched on by the fish. Mine swam in an s motion though.

Alyxx said:
Some nematodes are parasitic and others just eat detritus. I've had some of the detritus eating ones come in with some driftwood but they got munched on by the fish. Mine swam in an s motion though.

yea im thinking nematodes based on pics i found at theaquariumwicki.com

Back
Top Bottom