My tank turned green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PG1712

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not sure what I did but I lost my post ... trying again.
I have had fish since 2008, just downsized to a 20 gal Hexagon tank in March and within the past month and a 1/2 the tank has turned green. I do weekly water changes and also tried the Aqueon water clarifier for 2 days as suggested (which didn't work). Recently tried Special Blend (2 doses so far) and still it looks the same. Took samples to Petsmart/Petco and all levels were perfect. The tank is directly across from a window (no sun) and within the past 2 weeks have been putting a towel over during the day. I have 1 gourami, 4 neon tetras, 3 guppy's & 2 cory cat fish. The tank is not filled with algae which make this more confusing. Any ideas are much appreciated. Thx

img_3372217_0_0e1999fbb4d74bb65f4f72570a6c7998.jpg
[/URL]

Looks like your growing spirulina. Harvest and eat it.

If that isn't it then I would suggest an inline uv filter. So you won't have to remove fish.

Last edited:
Just checked out a few videos on it and it looks promising. Off to Petsmart to get one. Thanks. I will share back my results ;)

A uv sterilizer will help, but it's not the cure. You need to identify the reason for the algae bloom. What lights are you using and how long are they on for? What is the nitrate level? That's some serious algae.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A uv sterilizer will help, but it's not the cure. You need to identify the reason for the algae bloom. What lights are you using and how long are they on for? What is the nitrate level? That's some serious algae.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The water tests were ok according to the original post. And a the old towel over the tank trick.

My money is on a root cause of:
Lights on too long.
Or
That is one sunny bright room.

When I was young my stepmother would try that towel trick and it might subside. But as soon as the towel came off the green came back. She had to move the tank to a less sunny room.

You get green water when you upset the biological filter resulting in a temporary rise in ammonia. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

UV on for 4-5 days. Green water gone. UV off and green has not returned.

I put a new canister filter on without swapping any filter sponges over. This is not recommended of course but with water changes and low ph (6.2) I knew any ammonia that wasn't processed by the plants would effectively be non toxic. It only takes a very small amount to induce it and I agree with the above that lighting drives it forward.

The only real solution for this algae in my opinion is UV.

Good luck with your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The last time I had green water like that, I wrapped the tank in heavy black trash bags for a week and covered it in a towel with the lights off. It killed all the algae in the water. I haven't had green water problems since.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

I guess alot depends on type of algae you're dealing with. Our pond gets intense UV all day long here, yet recently had the worst algae bloom I've ever seen. Looked like the Incredible Hulk must've been bathing in there. I dosed it with Acurel-E a few times and now all is well.

This new tank we have has LED lights and we have them set on a timer for 7 hours a day.

The tank is across the room from a 9 ft. window but no direct light hits it, however I think that is what's causing my problem. I have the UV light in there now (almost a day now) so anxiously waiting to see if there is any difference yet.

Back
Top Bottom