My water went cold with the heater still on, possibly a new air pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celticfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got an air pump like 3 days ago(Tetra APS 100), my first ever time despite having tanks for like 9 years now.

Anyway it was almost disaster, just by chance I ordered shelter type thing as I got corys a week ago and for them to hide under or whatever and it was arriving today. So I decided to vaccum the sand and move everything and stuff to make room and when I put my hand in the water felt cold which it never usually does as I keep my tank at 26c(79f) and I looked at my thermometer which said it was probably like 19.5c(67f).

This was maybe 3 and a half hours ago, I added warmer water to fill it back up after removing about 20% and the temperature went up, I also turned off the water pump. Then I waited about 30 minutes, took water out again and added warmer water getting it to about 24. I also put the water pump back on again about 1 hour ago but I turned it down to slower bubbles - my temperature has went to about 25.5c(78f) but it won't go to 26c although at least it isnt going back down.

Would a water pump(sitting on the floor so kind of cold air) add cold enough air to reduce the temperature that much?

Luckily my fish seem fine, I never noticed anything different from them and would probably never even have known had I not put my hand in but I dont know how long they were living in around 19-20c water, it may have been almost 2-3 days they are corys, guppys and platys.

Should I try turning the ater pump back to what it was and keeping an eye on it to see if it starts cooling the water again?

With the heater in(?), it sounds like heater thermostat has failed. Generally from having an air pump I can’t recall a lot of difference - I found the tank matched the room temp (with no heater).

With the heater in(?), it sounds like heater thermostat has failed. Generally from having an air pump I can’t recall a lot of difference - I found the tank matched the room temp (with no heater).

Yeah it turned out it was the heater, my new one arrived today and the tank is now stable again. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom