Mysterious dissapearing water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 75 gallon tank and we put the Florite substrate in after a quick rinse. We didn't rinse the Florite for a long time because I believe the "mud" that settles in the bottom of the tank (that is normally washed completely off) is good for the plant roots. When we rinsed it was just quick swish.

Anyway, last night we filled the tank halfway and over the next hour watched the water level go down slowly... almost all the way! I figured that the Florite was absorbing the water so we filled to the halfway mark again and we went to bed. Well this AM the water level is down almost all the way again!!! I have checked, and there are no leaks from the tank so the water HAS to be going somewhere!!!! Is Florite that absorbant?? 8O

Ah, the mystery of the phantom water changer.
Just make sure to leave some conditioner out for when he refills it in the morning. Milk and cookies are always good too. Jeff

There is definately not a leak, the tank is dry outside, the stand is dry, the floor is dry, and the basement ceiling is dry.

I did want to add that is is a remote possibility that the water decided to "back up" and go back thru the hose in to the sink. We are using a mag pump and hose to fill the tank because our we cannot hook a hose to our kitchen fixture. Dh mentioned this last night and I thought he was crazy, but now I am not so sure. Regardless, I filled the tank halfway agaiin and this time I took the hose out of the water!!

So far so good!

well yeah, if you still have a hose in there with water in it, it'll definitely be able siphon back out.

Sounds like the tank is back siphoning into the sink. Unless you keep your house REALLY warm and have absolutely no humidity it's the only explanation.

Back
Top Bottom