Mysterious snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the process of setting up a new aquarium. It's something I've been wanting to do for the past couple years, but I kept getting sidetracked or forgetting. This will be important(ish) information in a little bit.
I started a Fishless cycle a couple weeks ago with a bare tank. New filter and new filter media. Yesterday I drained the water, installed the substrate and hard-scape and refilled with water. Today I see a little pond snail crawling on some driftwood. Where did it come from?
There is nothing in this new aquarium that has ever been in one of my old aquariums. The driftwood was purchased 2+ years ago, boiled, and then stored in another room until yesterday. Same for the rocks minus the boiling part. The substrate was purchased 2+ years ago and stored in another room, still in the boxes they were shipped in, until yesterday. The aquarium its self was once in use and I'm sure had some snails in it, but it was torn down 2+ years ago, given a pretty thorough cleaning and stored empty and dry until recently. The closest aquariums are over 10' away from this new set up.
Where did this Bleeping snail come from!?

Probably a bladder snail?Image1502566254.962386.jpg

I had a few for a while and they were pretty. IMG_9443.jpg

I wanna grown up and be the UN Aquatic Snail Ambassador.

Last edited:
You can get them from other tanks if you use same hose for water changes. On new tank and ones with snails.

Still a mystery. Since this is a new aquarium, I havent done any water changes yet. There's no fish, so there's no reason to change water. Also, Im using remineralized RODI water, so the hose I used to fill this aquarium is different from the one that I use for my other two tanks.
I saw it again as I was rearranging some rocks and plucked him out. Assuming he was alone (which I cant say for certain) this tank will be snail free for just a little bit longer. Plants should arrive in the mail on Wednesday or Thursday... so we'll see how much longer.

Back
Top Bottom