Need answer ASAP - pH issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilgore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have a fairly new 10-gallon livebearer tank, and since my tapwater is very soft and acidic (20 ppm and 6.8, respectively), I decided to add a little crushed coral to my Aqua Clear filter - about two tablespoons worth. There are also two smallish limestone rocks in the tank, as well as natural gravel (which I have heard can act as a buffer).

After adding the crushed coral, I was dismayed that the pH had gone up to the highest on test kit - 7.6, which means it's possibly even higher! The water hardness is ok at 80 ppm, and the kH is not even showing up on the test strips. Good news is that the guppies and fry seem ok, but my concerns are as follows:

1) Will the pH and hardness just continue to rise, or will it level off at some point? Should I remove some of the crushed coral and/or the limestone?

2) Have I set myself up for disaster when doing water changes, since my tap is significantly different? What can I do to the tap water to equalize it for the guppies? I have another limestone rock that I can leave in the bucket with the water, or I can add baking soda and a pH up product, but I prefer less hassle if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

first, PH altering chemicals really stress out your fish, and can cause PH flucuations so its better to go the natural way with limestone, crushed coral, etc. I would remove the limestone, All you want with your PH consistency. It might level off and fall back down after a couple days, but I doubt it, remove the limestone and re test. You reallly don't need to do anything to your tap water since your looking for a consistent PH, monitor it the next few days and see if goes back down after you remove the limestone

Crushed coral stops raising the pH at a level of 7.8. I am not sure about the limestone though. Considering your stock, I would remove the limestone and crushed coral. Guppies are fine with your tap pH. When the level fluctuates, it only causes stress. Are you using the strips or a liquid reagent test kit?

good question fishyfanatic, test strips do go bad from opening the bottle so much, they get moisture on them and it activates the reagent on the strip, rendering them pretty much useless after that.

Fishyfanatic said:
Crushed coral stops raising the pH at a level of 7.8. I am not sure about the limestone though. Considering your stock, I would remove the limestone and crushed coral. Guppies are fine with your tap pH. When the level fluctuates, it only causes stress. Are you using the strips or a liquid reagent test kit?

Wow, Fishyfanatic, thanks for the specific information on crushed coral - that is good to know. I am using a liquid test for pH since the test strips seem useless for that, but it only goes up to 7.6.

The problem with my tapwater isn't so much the pH as the fact that it is incredibly soft (20 ppm out of the tap), and since the alkalinity is also very low, the pH has crashed before. I am just trying to find stability by raising the hardness for the guppies.... and the side effect of that seems to be raising the pH. I will remove the limestone and some of the coral, then see where we are at. At least I know it won't go above 7.8, though.

Tropicfishman - I will definitely not use any pH adjusting chemicals, per your advice. I think water changes of only 20% of my tapwater shouldn't be too traumatic, but we will see. Thanks!

I'd remove the limestone first, then wait a few days and monitor the pH level. Then go ahead and reduce the cc to half. Wait a week or two and retest. You'll find the perfect balance. Crushed coral is great because it doesn't have to be replaced too often. Only about once every six months.

Back
Top Bottom