Need Help Fast.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't help you with it, I'm sorry 8O , but I just wanted to say that your post got my attention because of the extreme urgency you implied by not tacking an exclamation point onto the end of the sentence. How ironic. :| I hope everything's working out with the glue!

I don't know what uncured silicone will do to the aquarium water, but the curing process involves outgassing of solvents, which won't be able to take place underwater, AFAIK. I would be reluctant to subject the fish to the solvents, and don't think it will cure at all underwater.

Okay - I'm wrong. There are not solvents that need to outgas but it needs oxygen to cure, which won't happen under water.

There is a two-part silicone sealant that can cure underwater but I believe that would be toxic.

oscarbreeder said:
IMO it would be best to empty the tank as to not put your fish in danger and to let the silicone dry properly.

Agreed. Do you have a QT or hospital tank you can put them in temporarily?

you must also remove the old silicone completley as the new stuff will not properly adhere over the old stuff. also you must use the proper silicone with no additives as the batroom and kitchen and some of theothers have chemical additives for mold and stuff and may be harmful to your fish I just read this in a nother forum and the guy that responded was a glass guy once and it too must be dry and it was either 24 hrs or 48 hrs (can't remember now) to completley cure properly before you can fill with water again
good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom