Need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmerklin77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just set up my 100 gallon tank and transferred 3/4ths of my old 20 gallon fish tanks water and media into the new tank as well as my fish. The temperature was about 77 degrees in the new tank. Ok day 2 it became really cloudy and 3 of my fish died. I checked my ammonia levels as well as nitrite and nitrate levels all which are 0ppm. Its day 3 now and another fish died. I havent checked the pH of the water. I did add a dechlorinator to the tap water when filling the rest of the tank when i set it up. The cloudiness is still there on day 3. I also did rinse everything that i bought new from the pet store including my new canister filter and it's media. I originally had like 9 fish and total from my old fish tank of four died now. I do have 2 double air pumps set up do oxygen should not be an issue. Any ideas on why my fish are dying and why the tank is so cloudy? Any help would be nice, im tired of losing fish, especially with nitrite ammonia and nitrate levels non existent...

Sounds like your tank isn't cycled. The cycle is ammonia converted to nitrite then nitrate. Your tank is cycled when ammonia is zero and you are registering nitrates. You should have run your old filter on the new tank alongside the new filter. You can try adding some of the bottled bacteria for jump starting your cycle.

Would that not be high for the fish to start dying? Also why is it so hazy in the beginning of the cycle?

The cloudiness is a bacteria bloom. I'm surprised that your fish are dying if there is no ammonia or nitrite. Maybe you should check the ph.

Going from a 20 to 100. Great that you used the media. The temp was good. 85 of the 100g was new water. If you knew your 20g tds you could check the 100g. May have osmotic shock.

Checked th pH levels as well as nitrate ammonia and nitrite. All 0ppm and ph is 7.6. 3rd day and 2 more fish died. Tank still cloudy.

Used a new test kit to rule out my old one giving bad test results

Back
Top Bottom