Need to pick plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeCasa

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello

Time to learn about plants and one of the most important aspects about plants is where to buy.

150 gallon with 3 full length strands of RGBW LED flex strips providing the sunlight.
Started with an inch +/- of organic potting soil and covered with a top layer consisting of 2" - 4" quartz sand.
PH is around 8 +/-

1st NEED: fill an area 16"W X 28"H and Tight against the tank side. 3-4" max

My tank will consist of 6-8 aggressive territorial cichlids and my first hope is the diggers don't claim areas near plants

That said, I bought some silk plants to lay cover while the real plants are getting rooted. My hope is that I can remove the silks once the plants are rooted and supplying coverage.

Yes my intakes are coming up here but I generally run them lower than most and I bought good sized covers. If that's a problem for some plants please mention it.

That should be it

Thank you
MeCasa :)

If you have diggers you may have a real mess on your hands by using dirt. I've been dirting tanks for years and that is the one thing you don't want to do with any type of diggers. Also the only plants that "might" stand a change against those fish are anubia, java ferns, and perhaps bolbitus. They will dig up and tear apart most all plants and trying to hide live plants with fake ones won't really help plus the fake ones will shade the light plants need. Unless you have the fish already I would seriously rethink your stock.

I want to be friends with everybody but I hope the next poster is heavier in plant names and is shorter on his visions for my tank. I find it redundant that so many threads divert to YOU SHOULD posts.

Give me some plant choices, I'll study them and make my choices.

And I really, really appreciate the help :)

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, I get frustrated that so many threads divert into 'what the poster thinks I need do to improve my tank quickly followed by a discussion of what fish I should use'

What fish I buy is my vision as you have yours, please do not preclude that I'm clueless because my visions differ from yours.

Yes the plants will get tore up and yes I will lose some plants and fish but in the end that's my vision. Nature has a culling process and what's good for Mother Nature is good for me.

I am asking for opinions on which plants are the most likely to live, if they die I simply keep the silks which is why I bought them.

Thank you and sorry if I was harsh
MeCasa

I'm sorry if that sounded harsh, I get frustrated that so many threads divert into 'what the poster thinks I need do to improve my tank quickly followed by a discussion of what fish I should use'

What fish I buy is my vision as you have yours, please do not preclude that I'm clueless because my visions differ from yours.

Yes the plants will get tore up and yes I will lose some plants and fish but in the end that's my vision. Nature has a culling process and what's good for Mother Nature is good for me.

I am asking for opinions on which plants are the most likely to live, if they die I simply keep the silks which is why I bought them.

Thank you and sorry if I was harsh
MeCasa

He did exactly what he was supposed to do! He suggested some plants that would work in your tank and told you what is going to happen if you add other plants.

"She"... Rivercats is the AA planted princess.. And you sir are now without the asset that has provided us with all the answers we'd ever need to successfully plant a tank, people need to take responsibility in planning their tank.. There is no algorithm here for planted tanks.. It's all about variables.. Suggestions can only really be made on these variables.. Good luck !

"He" is a she and also a moderator on this site. She did her job in suggesting what problems you might have and what plants would possibly survive with your "digging" cichlids. Since you didn't give an idea of what type of cichlids, other than "diggers" which can be a whole range of cichlid species, and you added the fact that you have a dirted tank, of which she has many years experience, I believe she gave you very good advice. We are here to give advice, we do this without pay and on our free time.

Now, what type of cichlids? "diggers" as I mentioned, can be a whole range of species, even German Blue Rams dig.

I just wanted some plants not somebody to tell me what I should do with my tank. And the social correctness was entertaining.

Thank you anyway

All's good (y)

That's fine.. How can you expect to successfully run a dirted tank with diggers??? If you're dead set on cichlids than a gravel/sand substrate will yield a much "cleaner" outcome, than such plants as java fern and anubias will be safe as they are tied onto decorations, swords and crypts could survive as they grow extensive root systems...

That's fine.. How can you expect to successfully run a dirted tank with diggers??? If you're dead set on cichlids than a gravel/sand substrate will yield a much "cleaner" outcome, than such plants as java fern and anubias will be safe as they are tied onto decorations, swords and crypts could survive as they grow extensive root systems...
I ran my organic substrate in one specific area like a septic system. I covered the substarte with 2" of quartz sand and the added a half dozen resin anemones to cover the entire area making it virtually impossible for fish to get near my substrate.

As to the plants themselves, they are bordered by deeply imbedded rocks which will not allow the fish to get near the base of the plants. I chose the plants for toughness and strong root systems (which is why I came here to ask questions) I even added a fiberglass 1/4" square mesh directly under the plants for the roots to grab onto making tear out more difficult. I did not cover the entire substrate with mesh because I heard horror stories that it is near impossible to remove strong rooted plants that have entwined their roots in the mesh without taking the tank down.

Will it work, won't know till the fish get introduced and I'm giving the plants a couple of weeks after the tank is ready to help with rooting before fish are introduced and even at that they'll all be 1 1/4" juvies.

All my point was, is that while difficult, it is possible to raise plants in a cichlid tankand instead of help, I was met with "change your fish"

Not a biggie, I received encouragement and help from the Planted Tank Forum. There's no hard feelings. I'll post a build thread when I'm done and we'll see if my efforts paid off.

Thanks
MeCasa

I got GBR's in a heavily planted tank and they dig a lot whilst breeding. They dont eat my plants at all, only uproot every now and then. No problem in covering their hole and replanting.

Ive never had a dirted tank before but i know that the sand cap is used to stop the dirt mixing with the water causing it to cloud up.

It sounds like you've got your plan set firm and are guarding against the 'diggers' digging up your planted area. Unfortunately we cannot tell our fish what to do and sods law they'll try to dig in the exact area you are trying to protect lol.

As for plant types, well you've been given a few options already. You know instead of criticising people who are trying to help you, you could always do the research yourself. Google is a very useful tool.... Have you ever heard of it???

We all like sarcasm it seems ;)

I ran my organic substrate in one specific area like a septic system. I covered the substarte with 2" of quartz sand and the added a half dozen resin anemones to cover the entire area making it virtually impossible for fish to get near my substrate. As to the plants themselves, they are bordered by deeply imbedded rocks which will not allow the fish to get near the base of the plants. I chose the plants for toughness and strong root systems (which is why I came here to ask questions) I even added a fiberglass 1/4" square mesh directly under the plants for the roots to grab onto making tear out more difficult. I did not cover the entire substrate with mesh because I heard horror stories that it is near impossible to remove strong rooted plants that have entwined their roots in the mesh without taking the tank down. Will it work, won't know till the fish get introduced and I'm giving the plants a couple of weeks after the tank is ready to help with rooting before fish are introduced and even at that they'll all be 1 1/4" juvies. All my point was, is that while difficult, it is possible to raise plants in a cichlid tankand instead of help, I was met with "change your fish" Not a biggie, I received encouragement and help from the Planted Tank Forum. There's no hard feelings. I'll post a build thread when I'm done and we'll see if my efforts paid off. Thanks MeCasa
fine dude fine... If there is one way to shut me up you just executed it flawlessly.. Sounds like you have quite the plan in place! I'll be looking forward to a build/progress thread;)

I got GBR's in a heavily planted tank and they dig a lot whilst breeding. They dont eat my plants at all, only uproot every now and then. No problem in covering their hole and replanting.

Ive never had a dirted tank before but i know that the sand cap is used to stop the dirt mixing with the water causing it to cloud up.

It sounds like you've got your plan set firm and are guarding against the 'diggers' digging up your planted area. Unfortunately we cannot tell our fish what to do and sods law they'll try to dig in the exact area you are trying to protect lol.

As for plant types, well you've been given a few options already. You know instead of criticising people who are trying to help you, you could always do the research yourself. Google is a very useful tool.... Have you ever heard of it???

We all like sarcasm it seems ;)
Research is done and plants are purchased. I was Just replying to Brookster's earlier post that I missed :D

(1) Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'
(8) Vallisneria sp. 'Asiatica'
(2) Anubias Barteri var. coffeefolia
(10) Pogostemon Erectus

And I agree I am not above some guilt and I regret that

The ar mini is a pretty soft leafy plant?? I suppose once it roots and assuming you have good lighting it should grow fast enough if it gets beat up...The anubias coffe is awesome! I have some growing in my 29, the leaves almost look painted on, one if my favs and certainly tough as nails...

Research is done and plants are purchased. I was Just replying to Brookster's earlier post

Brookster gives solid advice.

To be fair you've had a number of knowledgable ppl give you advice. Shouldnt bin them all off because you dont like what they say. You never know when you may need their help again

Back
Top Bottom