Neutralising Hydrogen Peroxide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting. I never figured that H2O2 would persist in water in equilibrium. I assumed that it would eventually become H2O + a free O over time.
A large water change using a sodium thiosulphate conditioner should cease any further action of the product.
I remember using H2O2 plus a reactive metal catalyst with my contacts many years ago.

Very interesting. I never figured that H2O2 would persist in water in equilibrium. I assumed that it would eventually become H2O + a free O over time.
A large water change using a sodium thiosulphate conditioner should cease any further action of the product.
I remember using H2O2 plus a reactive metal catalyst with my contacts many years ago.

I thought it went in a matter of minutes, if not hours whenever I used during a water change but I found recently in a small, clean tank it lasted over night. Nothing much to react with I guess. I could see gas bubbles appearing on the fern for quite some time.

That's interesting with the reactive metal. Might be other ways out there to neutralise it. I think potassium permanganate will as well but that might be a double-edged sword.

I see bubbles coming from plants and the substrate many hours after dosing H2O2. Not sure if that is from a lingering reaction or the over saturation of oxygen or a combination of both.
Here is a high tech version of the contact lens sterilization case using hydrogen peroxide. IMG_3546.JPG

Back
Top Bottom