New 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidberger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally bought got a 46g bow, glass top, stand and marineland led light yesterday ?

Fluval c4 and enhiem 150 heater, API master test and prime in route

Will be starting a fish less cycle soon!

Just need to get my hands on some good filter media...

Suggestions? Anyone is Wisconsin?

Aww I'm jealous! Mine is still sitting in storage waiting for a splash! What did you use for a lid? I need one.

The glass top actually came with. It was a marineland bow with glass top. Stand included for under 200. Local pet smarts had them in clearance. Online the package still cost 300s.

I've heard a lot of good things about Tetra Safe Start for helping along the cycling process, might be worth a try if you can't find anyone with established media for you to snag a piece from. I'm a little skeptical about how viable bacteria sitting in a bottle on a shelf for who knows how long would be, but I've heard a lot of people here swear by it.

I've heard a lot of good things about Tetra Safe Start for helping along the cycling process, might be worth a try if you can't find anyone with established media for you to snag a piece from. I'm a little skeptical about how viable bacteria sitting in a bottle on a shelf for who knows how long would be, but I've heard a lot of people here swear by it.
it's mainly all crap, shortcuts in this hobby usually lead you into that dark swamp in the woods where nothing seems to live.. Just cycle the thing. There's two ways, both work great! Bottled bb is nothing short of a miracle hair grow tonic circa 1876!

it's mainly all crap, shortcuts in this hobby usually lead you into that dark swamp in the woods where nothing seems to live.. Just cycle the thing. There's two ways, both work great! Bottled bb is nothing short of a miracle hair grow tonic circa 1876!

Haha, yeah, that was kind of what I thought ;) But there's been so many people swearing that their tank cycled faster with the stuff that I figured it was worth mentioning. The stuff is usually cheap enough that worst case the cycle still takes just as long as it would have and you're only out $10.

BB in a Bottle

I think the reason there are so many different opinions on that BB in a bottle is that it does start giving you Nitrite readings FAST. So some kind of bacteria IS converting ammonia.

BUT and this is a big but, the cycle stalls there for a length of time that you are no better than having not used it.

In fact, I think your cycle stalls and does unpredictable things (inconsistent parameters) which causes new people to post and post and post on here questions because no amount or reading of research can explain what is going on in their filter (tank).

I used it for both of my tanks. I will never use it again.

Back
Top Bottom