NEW TANK - Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iliad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

First time poster and brand new to the hobby! I have just started my 5 foot tank 160 gallon freshwater community tank.

So far everything is going great, I thought I would post my progress in case anyone has advice as it is my first time in the hobby.

Okay, I am running a SUN SUN canister filter properly stocked with sponge bio balls ect. I run no heater on my tank and have plenty of air stones it is a very well oxygenated tank.

The tank is a planted tank with a LED light (red,blue,white) my flora consists of 1 x Anubias, 6 x Java Ferns, 1 x Amazon Sword, 1 x Water Sprite, 1 x Banana Lily, 4 x Long reed plant (Don't know name) and 1 x another red / green petal leaf plant not sure on the name sorry.

It is quite a well planted tank with a substrate that consists of black tiny pebbles and red fluorite as the nutrients provider for my plants. I have some nice bits of large drift wood lots of stones (dragon stone and Seriyu) which creates plenty of caves and hiding spots.

I am currently in the process of my tanks nitrogen cycle, the tank has currently been running for 6 days. I have used seachem stability as my tank starter to create good bacteria for my bio-filter dosing it daily for what apparently should be 7 days.

(After 7 days do I stop dosing it with seachem?)

I have fish in my cycle my livestock so far is 3 x red tailed sharks, 3 x Clown Loach, 5 x Kuhli Loach, 1 x hill stream loach and finally 1 x long fin pleco.

I have been testing my water daily and results have been great. Average PH 6.8 - 7.8, no chlorine, safe nitrate and safe nitrites. I also have a ammonia test kit and have 0 - 0.25 ammonia levels still need to monitor this now that I am feeding the tank 1 x a day.

That is kind of the basic information so far. I have had no issues yet and would love to hear from more experienced people as to what I should be doing or looking out for with this set up. I know I should expect an ammonia spike at some stage...

Thanks guys if you read it I know it was long feel free to ask questions if you need more details. :thanks::fish1:

Not sure I would use scaless fish for a cycle but if it is working for you then great.

Fair point, so far it is all working fine fingers crossed!!

Stability is hit or miss. Works for some people but it hasn’t worked for me. I add dr Tim’s ammonia and bump the ammonia to 4 ppm and added tetra safe start plus and it seems to be working so far. If you have any other tanks it’s always best to use established media from another tank. For a tank your size I would go with African cichlids but the plants would have to go. You can keep the java ferns and Anubias though.

Back
Top Bottom