New tank coming soon-need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrwizard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody, I'm getting a new tank next month I'll post a pic of the tank I'll be getting, it's 120cm(L)x 50cm(W) x 66cm(D) I think that makes it out to be around 80gallon.
I'm just posting for ideas and info really. I really want a cichlid tank so anything you think I should know about them please let me know, things what they like what they don't like, if i can have any other fish in there with them? One thing for sure is I want some/a yellow lab I think there awesome fish but not even sure what kind of cichlid they are. I will be doing extensive research before I purchase any fish also but where better to start than on here :) post pics of your cichlid tanks too If u have any. Cant wait to get mine started. Thank you for any info :D

i don't know much at all about cichlids but be sure to research about their aggression because a lot of cichlids cannot be with other types!
(from what ive read in other threads)

You have a lot of reading to do :) (Tons of information to learn about)

"Cichlids" is a HUGE variety.

Yellow Lab is part of the Mbuna Cichlids from Lake Malawi. Mbuna cichlids are very territorial, but can easily be done in a 80g tank.

Do some google searching about Yellow labs to find out how to properly care for them, how to sex them, what male/female ratios to get and what other mbuna cichlids they can be kept with.

Posted a pic of my Mbuna Cichlid tank.

BHead707 said:
i don't know much at all about cichlids but be sure to research about their aggression because a lot of cichlids cannot be with other types!
(from what ive read in other threads)

Yeah I heard that and ill be sure to research everything. I think I'm gonna go for a mbuna tank so there all gonna be that type. I have to have a yellow lab lol

steez said:
You have a lot of reading to do :) (Tons of information to learn about)

"Cichlids" is a HUGE variety.

Yellow Lab is part of the Mbuna Cichlids from Lake Malawi. Mbuna cichlids are very territorial, but can easily be done in a 80g tank.

Do some google searching about Yellow labs to find out how to properly care for them, how to sex them, what male/female ratios to get and what other mbuna cichlids they can be kept with.

Posted a pic of my Mbuna Cichlid tank.

That's what I like about starting a new tank, all the research I'm gonna have to do, learning about new fish. I'm glad to hear it can be done in a 80gal don't think I can fit much bigger in my house especially with a baby due next month too. Lol.

Awesome tank by the way, what kind of cichlids are they? I like the rock work you have in the corner, can I ask what kind of rock that is?

Anybody else got any info I should know or photos of there cichlid tanks? I've got some ideas for half the tank now need ideas for the other half. lol.

Anyone? Also I've got a fluval 205 canister filter on my current tank, this will be getting sold when my new tank and filter arrives but I don't want to have to go through the whole cycling process again, I was thinking about buying a sponge and placing it next to the sponge i already have in the filter so it'll be seeded by the time the new tank arrives, one problem tho I don't think the new sponge will fit next to the old one, is there anywhere else I can put the sponge so it will fill up with good bb?

That's what I like about starting a new tank, all the research I'm gonna have to do, learning about new fish. I'm glad to hear it can be done in a 80gal don't think I can fit much bigger in my house especially with a baby due next month too. Lol.

Awesome tank by the way, what kind of cichlids are they? I like the rock work you have in the corner, can I ask what kind of rock that is?

Thanks, I have Yellow labs and Demasoni's.

Lace rock, it helps buffer the pH for a Malawi setup.

Anyone? Also I've got a fluval 205 canister filter on my current tank, this will be getting sold when my new tank and filter arrives but I don't want to have to go through the whole cycling process again, I was thinking about buying a sponge and placing it next to the sponge i already have in the filter so it'll be seeded by the time the new tank arrives, one problem tho I don't think the new sponge will fit next to the old one, is there anywhere else I can put the sponge so it will fill up with good bb?

Do you have to sell it right away? Best thing to do would be to just run it alongside the new filter for a month or so. If you have to sell it, what you were planning should work. Or just sell the filter and keep the media for yourself and put it in the new filter to seed.

steez said:
Thanks, I have Yellow labs and Demasoni's.

Lace rock, it helps buffer the pH for a Malawi setup.

Argh I'm jealous of your yellow labs lol. Gonna look out for that lace rock, I like the dark colour of it. Thanks

steez said:
Do you have to sell it right away? Best thing to do would be to just run it alongside the new filter for a month or so. If you have to sell it, what you were planning should work. Or just sell the filter and keep the media for yourself and put it in the new filter to seed.

Yeah I need to really, my gf is pregnant with our 1st which is due next month too so I'll need as much room as possible (gonna be a busy month lol) plus I'm selling it to my sister so want to give it her as a complete set really. I think I'll try fitting the new sponge next to the old, if that fails I've still got bottled ammonia to start a new cycle :)

Back
Top Bottom