New Tank, New Fish, Water Cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinub

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I just started up a new 10 gallon freshwater tank about 2 days ago and I did the required setup for 24 hours before introducing any fish. Today, I go and buy the fish and everything was good, save 2 fish that I had to take back because of aggressiveness, but everything was fine. I even took a sample of the water to Petco when I took the 2 fish back and was told to add pH tablets and some ammonia reducuer, since they were both high. Okay, did that. Everyone seemed to be happy at this point (not nearly as stressed as when those 2 aggressive fish were in there), so I go to sleep for a few hours and turn the LED lights off. I wake up and the water is cloudy! Not super cloudy, but noticeable. Two of my fish are also a bit paler then when first introduced, but still active as ever and the other fish seem to be okay. What should I do? Is this normal?

First you need to read up on Fish In Cycling.

What exact fish did you add and how many of each ?

Can you post a pic of the tank ?

You probably need to do a partial water change right away. Match the temp and Make sure you add conditioner to the water.

You'll need to buy a test kit. For now Ammonia levels need to be monitored daily.

Many stores will sell you anything without knowing what will work best in your tank.

Return the PH tablets. It's better to have a stable tank, than bounce your PH up and down.

It takes weeks to build up your Beneficial Bacteria not 24 hours. Your tank chemistry will be changing daily for up to 6 weeks or so. If you are careful you can keep some fish alive, tho you may need to return some to lessen the load on your tank.

Live plants can also help cycle your tank faster.

Feed lightly for now. And get set for lots of water changes. Prime is one of the best water conditioners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Dalmatian Mollies, 2 of the big bellied Mollies, 2 guppies, and 2 ghost shrimp. I don't have a picture right now since I am at work. I understand that it would go through changes, but not so drastic!

Return the Mollies for now. Regular Mollies do best in 30g or larger tanks. They are very active and they get too big for a 10g. Balloon Belly stay smaller. If you must have fish in the tank to start, just have 2 male guppies or two male Ballon belly mollies. 6 fish is way too many for a brand new tank. They'll just die from Ammonia poisoning. For now do a large partial water change.

Match the tap water temp to the tank as best you can and I treat the tap water before it touches my tank.

For 10g tanks if you want more fish, stick with species that stay small.

Ember Tetras for instance fit ok in a 10g. You could have 5-6 of them once tank is stable. And then also have shrimp and maybe 1 snail.

Livebearers are great fish, but when they have babies you can quickly get too many.

My favorites for a 10g are

A. A single Betta
B. Celestial Pearl Danios
C. Shrimp tank with Red Cherry Shrimp

B and C can be combined.

Plants can really liven up a small tank.

This was one of my 10g tanks
967f41144cf87c92e89d29a9a3d20425.jpg

CPDs
d7a8fd78d2e7e4975b1428f998dec147.jpg

RCS
6695ccf9696269a7007421868c3ef2aa.jpg

Corydoras habrosus
In my 10g Shrimp Jungle
http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

Okay, I'll return the Dalmatian mollies as soon as I get off and as well as the pH tablets. What do you suggest for stablizing the pH levels instead of tablets? Or just let that do it's own thing? Also, what water conditioner is best?

Okay, I'll do that. Any suggestions on what water conditioner is best? And what should I do to keep the pH balance in check?

Prime is the name of the water conditioner. You only need 2 drops per gallon and you can add extra in case of emergency Ammonia.

What is your PH ? Unless it's super low it should work fine. Livebearers are fine in hard water.

Find fish that thrive in your water. Much easier that way. Messing with PH can bounce your levels around.

PH is the least of your concerns at this stage. Ammonia is the fish killer.

Okay. Doing all of this 1st thing later this morning when places open up! The ammonia levels SHOULD be okay until then, I used the API brand of ammonia reducer and placed 5 mL in the tank around 4:30pm (it is now 2:16am here)

Ok. Just remember Ammonia reducers are a temp fix. Water changes will be needed to get Ammonia out. Rest up.

Enjoy your tank [emoji1360]

Thanks so much for the advice! Hopefully my days as a newbie fish-keeper will be short-lived!

See if you can get some established filter media from a local fish store. Most will hand them out for free with a purchase. Fluval makes a good speed cycle formula that ive used in the past and got away with it but this was used with an addition of driftwood and seeded filter media from my "fish mentor" And +1 to everything that was said here. Before i knew anything about the nitrogen cycle my "fish mentor" told me

"Whenever the water is cloudy andor your fish are acting funny change the water."

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Back
Top Bottom