Next fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbland26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I have 5 neon tetras, 1 blue gourami, 1 dwarf gourami and 2 dwarf African frogs in a 20 gallon live planted tank. Here is my list of possibles...

Angel fish
Ghost shrimp
Black Kuhli loach
Some type of dwarf algae eater

Let me know your thoughts on these different ones. I know nothing about any of them.

You could probably do some kuhli loaches, shrimp or maybe some otos for an algae eater. I don't think angels would be a good option though.

An angelfish is not suitable in a tank that small due to it's eventual adult size. You could do a small number of Kuhli Loaches or Ghost shrimp but nothing more. Something else even if the two gourami's are getting along now they can get aggressive in an instant. Just be prepared to intervine if necessary.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I wish I joined this forum before I got them. The pet store knows nothing. I was hoping to get one more group of small schooling fish and then the algae eater once I start getting algae. I'm assuming a group of small schooling fish, dwarf algae eater and a loach is to much or at least borderline.

Why don't you call the LFS and see if they will take the blue gourami back. Many times they will and give you a store credit. If you'd take him back I think you could do about 5 Harlequin Rasboras since they are small and your Kuhli loaches, I'd do 6 as they do better in groups.

You think I'd have to have to get that many loaches? I may try to take the blue gourami back though.

Are they the ones that hide in the gravel or will he just hide in a cave or something.

They will be skittish and his all dy if you have a small number. If you get 6, they will Likley be active and scooting around the tank floor

Are they the ones that hide in the gravel or will he just hide in a cave or something.

Both. They will hide anywhere they can fit (which is pretty much anywhere). They are also very active at times. When they are getting fed they get excited and swim all along the glass on the tank. They are also very active in the evening/night. I like to go check on them when I wake up at night and they will be doing circles on the glass. Crazy little buggers. :ROFLMAO:

I have 5 black kuhlis. I like them. I wish they didn't hide quite as much, but when they aren't they always make me laugh at their silly antics.

Yeah that's pretty funny. Do they eat fish flakes or special food?

They will eat about anything. They will eat flakes, veggie wafers, cucumber, zucchini, frozen blood worms, and brine shrimp, etc. They really aren't too picky

Great page. Thanks a lot! I wonder if Khuli loaches and them would be to much for a 20 gallon. I'd prob get 3 and 3 if I did it. I may just get the loaches and an algae sucker fish.

You wuold need to pick either the loaches or cory's. The tank is too small for both. Also the only "sucker" fish that is small enough to put in your tank are Oto's. IMO you could add a couple nerite snails, they don't breed in freshwater and won't add to your bio-load. They also eat the biggest variety of algae of any algae eater. I keep around 40 in my 220g.

Back
Top Bottom