night light bulb/shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two questions and decided to make it one thread.

I have a 5 gallon rectangle tank that I have my blue lobster in. Problem is, he doesn't like light at all. When the light is on, he hides, as soon as i turn it off he comes out. I can use the light from my cell phone to light the tank and he has no problem with that. I am looking for a bulb for the tank that will be just enough light to see him moving around the tank at night.

What is a good site to order live stock from? I am looking for Amano Shrimp and my LFS doesn't have any.

Thank you for looking, I appreciate any help.

If you have a "blue lobster" (actually a crayfish) in a 5G, you have no room for anything. Any shrimp you add will merely be treats. There are a lot of good sites to order from, but I don't think you should. Your cray is nocturnal btw which explains it's dislike of light.

I guess I should add some more details.

I know that he is nocturnal. I have the tank on my night stand and would like to see him as I fall asleep. May sound wierd, but I have trouble falling asleep and usually lay there for an hour.

As for the shrimp, they are for my 90 gallon community tank. The lobster lives alone.

I used to use a blacklight bulb (Walmart ~ $3) to observe my snake in the dark. I also found the color kinda relaxing. Maybe it would help you fall asleep as well.

I've seen quite a few classified threads here and on other forums for shrimp. Other than that, they are occasionally available in shops (especially ghost shrimp). You can also try www.aquabid.com. I actually have a cherry shrimp farm going, but have recently sold off a bunch so I'm waiting for them to populate back or I'd offer.

I was looking for Amano Shrimp and I have read they are good for cleaning the bottom and for eating algea. I thought about fish to clean the bottom, but I like watching the shrimp. I had Ghost Shrimp in my 5 gallon hex before I stepped up to my 90 gallon tank.

what fish do you ave in the 90? one good thing about amanos is they get larger then many of the other ones commonly found.

Here is my 90 gallon.

90tank.jpg

Back
Top Bottom