Nitrate and Algae Buildup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I haven't posted anything in a while because I'm happy to report I haven't had any major problems with my tanks (yes, I'm knocking fervently on wood :lol: ). I just moved my 10-gallon into my living room so I'll pay more attention to it, it got eclipsed by my 30 gallon rift tank and I feel bad. :lol: ...it's a lot easier to move a 10-gallon then a 30-gallon.

Anyway, I've noticed my cichlid tank has been creeping up in nitrates-- they are at 60 ppm now--and the subsequent algae build up is starting to become a nuisance. I change 20% of my water with reconstituted ro water once a week--and there's no nitrates in there. I came home today and siphoned all the crap and excess food off the sand which emptied about a gallon of water, and refilled the tank. It took about 5 minutes of my time. I have no bottom feeders in my tank, just 6 cichlids. Unfortunately bottom feeders are not an option, as most get too big for my tank and I can't find the ones that stay small.

My questions are:

:?: Which would be the better method to get and keep my nitrates under control--siphon the sand every few days like today, do a mid-week water change, or change larger amounts of water once a week?

:?: Are there other options for a cleaning crew that the cichlids won't eat (they are Lake Malawi mbuna, 3 yellow labs and 3 blue Kenyi)?

:?: How much would adding plants help?

-Which would be the better method to get and keep my nitrates under control--siphon the sand every few days like today, do a mid-week water change, or change larger amounts of water once a week?

Feed your fish slightly less and do a larger water change. If you add less food to the tank, there is less waste that will be converted to Nitrates.

-Are there other options for a cleaning crew that the cichlids won't eat (they are Lake Malawi mbuna, 3 yellow labs and 3 blue Kenyi)?

Dwarf Plecos might be an options. They stay around 4 inchs long, and do a good job on the algae.

-How much would adding plants help?

Most African Cichlids I have seen like to dig into the substate. Adding plants might do little except frustrate you.

While planted plants (that sounds wierd doesnt it...) are not a good choice as grimmie said, maybe some floating plants like Java Moss might help suck up some of those nitrates? Dunno how it would do in the African water parameters tho; you'd have to do a little research to check.

shawmutt said:
Unfortunately bottom feeders are not an option, as most get too big for my tank and I can't find the ones that stay small.

in that case go with the Oto (Otocinclus)..those guys love algae and they stay pretty small too....or maybe a rhino pleco....rhinos are always eating, and they stay pretty small.

Zach.

I think an Oto would be a bit too small for a Cichlid tank. One wrong move and a 1.5 inch Oto could be lunch. Otos like a move heavily planted tank as well, and only eat algae/veggies from my experience. Plecos will bottom feed and get rid of some of the junk on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom