nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have been treating my tank with jungle parasite clear. Did a 30% change on my tank like the package said, then re dosed the tank w parasite clear. I had been using jungle start right to condition the water but bought a bottle of prime bc that's what everyone seems to use. Added the water and dosed the 75gal tank with a cap and a half of prime... I get home tonight and my nitrite levels were 3ppm, I've never had a problem with nitrite levels before. Any idea where I went wrong and what I can do to fix it?
Thank you for your time.

I'm not clear on what you are treating your tank for, but bacterial killers are indescriminant killers. Sounds like the frank treatment took out some of your "good" bacteria and you might need to go through a mini-cycle as it rebuilds.

I would suggest keeping an eye on the levels and perform water changes as needed. Good luck.

I was treating bloated fish. They came in that way and have already lost 1. After my nitrite tested high I was afraid I killed off bacteria. I put my filter cartridges back in and tested again this morning. The levels were back to normal. Kinda sux bc I had just dosed w meds and not the carbon is removing it all.

I'm not sure what filter you are using, but remove the carbon from the filter. However, the meds might still kill the bacteria in the filter.

2 emperor 400's. I did a 10gal pwc before I went to work for good measure, hopefully it will all be good when I get home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom