Nitrites and PH help?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt_7689

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to my local fish store today and I talked to the guy at the store about water test kits. He told me that he recommends doing PH and Nitrite tests as these are the two most causes of death in fish. I bought the two kits and my PH was 7 and my nitrites were .8. I did a 50% water change (with a conditioner) and am waiting to do another test. I just wanted to make sure that he was accurate about his information.
According to the PH kit, my PH levels were good and my Nitrites were too high. I did a water change and will do another test later. Any advice, concerns, and/or comments.
OH!!! I finally got a water vacuum. It's a Tom Aquarium Products Vac. It's a hand started vac and works like a charm!! I didn't vacuum the gravel yet. Probably in a few more water changes.

:thanks: for all of your help!! :D

IMO ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all important tests to have. pH is too but not as much. Ammonia and nitrite are both very deadly to fish if allowed to get high. Very high nitrates can cause death and illness. pH fluctuations can kill fish. Stability is the key there. A water change was the best thing you can do when you find ammonia or nitrite in your tank.

IMO, the ammonia and nitrite are the most important followed by nitrate and then pH. The important thing about pH is that it be STABLE not really any specific value, most fish will adapt to whatever the pH of your source water is. The best test kit to have is a liquid reagent kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH (API Master Test Kit or similar). If he sold you the strips he ripped you off as they are highly inaccurate.

Since you are showing a level a nitrite I must ask... How long has your tank been set up? Have you tested for ammonia?

IMO, the ammonia and nitrite are the most important followed by nitrate and then pH. The important thing about pH is that it be STABLE not really any specific value, most fish will adapt to whatever the pH of your source water is. The best test kit to have is a liquid reagent kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH (API Master Test Kit or similar). If he sold you the strips he ripped you off as they are highly inaccurate.

Since you are showing a level a nitrite I must ask... How long has your tank been set up? Have you tested for ammonia?

No, It was a liquid test. I'll go back some time soon to get an ammonia test kit as well. It's only been set up for a few day and I put fish in it and didn't cycle it because I didn't know and three of my fish died.

Back
Top Bottom