Non-aquatic plants/house plants rooted in filters???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great discussion! If you can locate it, read D Crosby Johnson's book. It's titled "Never Change Your Fish Water Again!" I read it some time ago and it's very informative. I've never cared about how pretty my tanks are, because really no one sees them, but my wife and me. I only care about pure water conditions for my fish and plants. I keep several larger tanks of Fancy Guppies and have many Corydoras. Corys are the only fish that don't go after my male Guppies. Guppies are very hardy and easily tolerate less than perfect water conditions, Corys not so much.

Anyway, there are many ways to a healthy tank. I'm just interested in different ways of getting it. If I don't have to do a lot of maintenance, I'm all for it. To get to the point you don't need water changes, you need large plants, like the Aglaonema. In my 55 gallon tanks, I use half a dozen, 12 inch plants. There is pea-gravel substrate and quite a number of fish.

I also have tanks that combine the "Ag" plants, Anacharis, Pennywort, Cryptocoryne, Singapore moss and varieties of Anubias. These tanks require water changes because there aren't enough "Ag" plants to keep the water pure without changing some of the water every 2 weeks.

I'd love to answer specific questions, but like Rivercats said. These tanks aren't showy, but I'm sure there are some very creative people who could take this idea and do wonders.

B

Great discussion! If you can locate it, read D Crosby Johnson's book. It's titled "Never Change Your Fish Water Again!" I read it some time ago and it's very informative. I've never cared about how pretty my tanks are, because really no one sees them, but my wife and me. I only care about pure water conditions for my fish and plants. I keep several larger tanks of Fancy Guppies and have many Corydoras. Corys are the only fish that don't go after my male Guppies. Guppies are very hardy and easily tolerate less than perfect water conditions, Corys not so much.

Anyway, there are many ways to a healthy tank. I'm just interested in different ways of getting it. If I don't have to do a lot of maintenance, I'm all for it. To get to the point you don't need water changes, you need large plants, like the Aglaonema. In my 55 gallon tanks, I use half a dozen, 12 inch plants. There is pea-gravel substrate and quite a number of fish.

I also have tanks that combine the "Ag" plants, Anacharis, Pennywort, Cryptocoryne, Singapore moss and varieties of Anubias. These tanks require water changes because there aren't enough "Ag" plants to keep the water pure without changing some of the water every 2 weeks.

I'd love to answer specific questions, but like Rivercats said. These tanks aren't showy, but I'm sure there are some very creative people who could take this idea and do wonders.

B

I will try check the book out I'm also trying to find Diana walstads book called the ecology of a planted aquarium she is also all for the no/reducing water changes with plants method. The tank I am setting up will be lightly planted to acheive the look I want but I have about six inches by 24 inches of surface area to root these house plants in and I am hoping with a tone if them in there they will combat the nitrification process well. After the sump which will be filled with bio balls, ceramic media, bio stones, almond leaves and peat pellets with the roots of the house plants piercing through after all that in the last section there will be my intake tube for my external filter designed for a 300 litre tank which will be filled with more bio media of all kinds then out of there it will go through my uv sterilizer designed for a 600l tank then through the outlet back into the tank. Now to me in my opinion this filtration is huge for the tank which is only 180l not including the sump and tbh I may have to stock this tank with some high waste fish to ensure the beneficial bacteria isn't starved. What's your opinions on this guys???

I will try check the book out I'm also trying to find Diana walstads book called the ecology of a planted aquarium she is also all for the no/reducing water changes with plants method. The tank I am setting up will be lightly planted to acheive the look I want but I have about six inches by 24 inches of surface area to root these house plants in and I am hoping with a tone if them in there they will combat the nitrification process well. After the sump which will be filled with bio balls, ceramic media, bio stones, almond leaves and peat pellets with the roots of the house plants piercing through after all that in the last section there will be my intake tube for my external filter designed for a 300 litre tank which will be filled with more bio media of all kinds then out of there it will go through my uv sterilizer designed for a 600l tank then through the outlet back into the tank. Now to me in my opinion this filtration is huge for the tank which is only 180l not including the sump and tbh I may have to stock this tank with some high waste fish to ensure the beneficial bacteria isn't starved. What's your opinions on this guys???

Sounds like a heck of a filter! Maybe you could use java moss and red cherry shrimp in the sump as a mechancal filtration?

B

Pothos vine pulls alot of nutrients right? Also what do you do for lighting? Your tanks sound awesome though!

Sounds like a heck of a filter! Maybe you could use java moss and red cherry shrimp in the sump as a mechancal filtration?

I was thinking this but as the sump is built into the back of the tank instead of underneath its kinda thin and deep and it's also blacked out so once I put them in there I would never really be able to see how they are doing it would just simply be a guessing game that's why I thought of just piling it up with bio media but with the roots shooting through :)

Hello again Joey...

I've had very good luck with "Queen Marble". This variety of Pothos is very hardy and if the roots are rinsed of all the potting mixture, it will do well emersed. For the plant to do the best, the water needs to flow through the roots constantly. The tank water contains dissolved nutrients from the fish waste and as the water flows through the roots, they take in the nutrients.

If you had enough plants in the tank, you could do away with water changes. The plant roots would take in all forms of nitrogen and create pure water conditions. There are tanks like this, called "Terratopes". Using the roots of land plants emersed in an aquarium to maintain pure water conditions.

B

You said they were called terratopes but I can't find anything on that name when I type it on YouTube or google. Is the spelling right or are they just a tad rare???

Joey...

I don't believe you'll find this word. "Terra" is the Latin word for "land". Tope refers to a habitat for animals or plants. The land plants are part of a habitat for fish. So, you have land plants in an enclosed fish habitat.

Sounds strange, I know. But that's it.

B

Cats and Bradbury what's your opinions on the filtration I writt on thread earlier???

With all the talk how about reposting what your wanting to do for filtration as that kind of got lost.

Hello GF...

The beauty of using land plants in an aquarium, is that they require only ambient (room) light. I use cheap pole lamps with 60 watt "eco" bulbs in them. You can also combine land and aquatic plants in the same tank. However, you really need larger tanks. At least 55 G, so you can drop the water level to provide the right environment for the land plants. The land plant will only grow if the roots are under the water with the leaves above. Any submerged leaves will die.

The water in these tanks stays so clear, it's hard to believe. The emersed plant roots are a natural water filter.

B

Hello GF...

The beauty of using land plants in an aquarium, is that they require only ambient (room) light. I use cheap pole lamps with 60 watt "eco" bulbs in them. You can also combine land and aquatic plants in the same tank. However, you really need larger tanks. At least 55 G, so you can drop the water level to provide the right environment for the land plants. The land plant will only grow if the roots are under the water with the leaves above. Any submerged leaves will die.

The water in these tanks stays so clear, it's hard to believe. The emersed plant roots are a natural water filter.

B

Ok cool thanks. I am going to be using a westward facing window for light. I may biy a cheap clamp on light to supplement if need be.

Joey...

All I can say about your filtration is "Whoa"! It's too detailed for this "old school" water keeper. I'm sure you've done your homework and come up with an effective system for keeping the water pure. I tend to delegate this job to mother nature as much as possible. She's been in the business a little longer than I have.

B

Here's the filtration all set up no water but you cancer the gist of how massive this filtration is for only a 180l tank!!! These discus are going to be happy!!!

Had a little re-think going to set the tank up with just the breeding pair and a breeding cone and just get a few clutches off of them first I can't bare not having them home with me any longer haha I'm going on holiday next week so couple weeks after that I will upload pics :)

Back
Top Bottom