Nutrafin Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was talking to a Hagen rep the other day, and suprisingly he didn't sound like a brainwashed idiot. One thing he did mention was that the "new formula" of cycle is basically the same as the new version of bio-spira (the non-refrigerated "shelf stable" one). Does anyone have any thoughts?

I've used cycle and had good results. I am a firm believer in "False Advertisement" and am 90% sure it has to be scientifically backed up to be sold in major chain stores such as Pet Smart and Petco "where the pets go :p". So with that said, I would go ahead and by the bigger bottle of it. I only used it up until my cycle was complete, then I wouldn't spend anymore money on it unless you disrupt your cycle.

I was talking to a Hagen rep the other day, and suprisingly he didn't sound like a brainwashed idiot. One thing he did mention was that the "new formula" of cycle is basically the same as the new version of bio-spira (the non-refrigerated "shelf stable" one). Does anyone have any thoughts?
The Manufacturers have little to no regulation of the claims they make for their product's effectiveness, nor control of the product once it leaves their facilities.
Live bacteria products may not have the the actual nitrifying bacteria, or even if it did, shippers may not have stored/shipped it properly.

Show me the science and let me prepare a couple of slides, from product off the shelves.
I wanna see live beneficial bacteria under my microscope.
The only product that ever showed the science and had live bacteria was the original refrigerated Bio-Spira.
I haven't checked the new Bio-Spira, nor any other similar product in over 5-6 years.

Having mature tanks/filters, I've never had the need to seed a new tank with such products.

I've always been somewhat dubious... Caveat Emptor!

The Manufacturers have little to no regulation of the claims they make for their product's effectiveness, nor control of the product once it leaves their facilities.
Live bacteria products may not have the the actual nitrifying bacteria, or even if it did, shippers may not have stored/shipped it properly.

Show me the science and let me prepare a couple of slides, from product off the shelves.
I wanna see live beneficial bacteria under my microscope.
The only product that ever showed the science and had live bacteria was the original refrigerated Bio-Spira.
I haven't checked the new Bio-Spira, nor any other similar product in over 5-6 years.

Having mature tanks/filters, I've never had the need to seed a new tank with such products.

I've always been somewhat dubious... Caveat Emptor!

I've had to restart totally a few times because everything died off in my tanks while I was gone. Rather than keep dosing ammonia/food, I left the tank sit, and I recycled (lol..) my tank and it took a few weeks. From what I was told, since nitrospira was discovered/packaged as biospira, marineland (instant ocean) has discovered some way to make the bacteria go into a dormant state=shelf stable. If marineland was able to do it (why would they stop producing the live live bacteria if it didn't work) why not nutrafin? I'm not saying in the past that it may not have worked, but right now, if we can ignore the past *total* failure of cycle, there is the possibility that they now have a similar product to biospira.

That said, I have not used either of the new formulas, and cannot attest to their efficacy. (That word popped up, and it sounded good. I think it works...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom