On way home with new baby florida gar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KRAKEN

Aquarium Advice Activist
Very beautiful and cute fish, any tips on a good diet?

Attachments

• image-900651636.jpg
    image-900651636.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 202
WOW!!! What are you putting that thing in? and with what???
Really really cool looking...

He is going by him self in a 20 gallon until I get him big enough to go in the Oscar tank, if I put him with my oscars now he would be food! Lol but I bought him cheap off a private breeder,

First meal in his new home

Attachments

• image-2258388026.jpg
    image-2258388026.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 226
I've caught a few small ones but have never kept them because I don't foresee myself ever being able to deal with a 3ft long fish. I don't think I would even keep one in my 125 if I cleared it and completely restocked. They have a great look to them though, wish I could keep one. Maybe some day =]

img_1854123_0_eac297d333d70212bde97855d8d207c9.jpg

I do keep smaller similar fish, in grass pickerel/redfin pickerel. Be careful when feeding this type of fish, don't pick feeders that are too large or they may choke on them.

Also feed the feeder tank with a high quality flake or pellet to help transfer it to the predator.

My friend has a couple monster Florida gars, they are amazing!! He's currently tossing around turning the in ground pool to "Gar" housing.

josh7 said:
Don't you need like a 8 foot tank to properly house those

Actually when I did my research on these fish, you HAVE to start with a small tank and work your way up. Because of the way their spine is built if it got scared and darted in and hit the wall it could break its back, bigger tank small fish is when the fish can get enough speed to harm it's self, but it DEFINITLY will be put in a long and wide tank as soon as he gets to maturity =) florida gars are cool, it seems like he alredy recognizes me, because I'm the only one that feeds him he sits there and stairs at me lol. I just got his name made up, he is " Dante "

jetajockey said:
I've caught a few small ones but have never kept them because I don't foresee myself ever being able to deal with a 3ft long fish. I don't think I would even keep one in my 125 if I cleared it and completely restocked. They have a great look to them though, wish I could keep one. Maybe some day =]

I do keep smaller similar fish, in grass pickerel/redfin pickerel. Be careful when feeding this type of fish, don't pick feeders that are too large or they may choke on them.

Also feed the feeder tank with a high quality flake or pellet to help transfer it to the predator.

Hey that picture, it was in a net, and I'm guessing the net has two poles one it? We call that "sanein" around here, that's how we get our minnows for fishing =) could you pm me if you have any live plants or drift wood for sell?

Shay said:
My friend has a couple monster Florida gars, they are amazing!! He's currently tossing around turning the in ground pool to "Gar" housing.

I always wanted to stock an in ground pool with fish!!

Actually when I did my research on these fish, you HAVE to start with a small tank and work your way up. Because of the way their spine is built if it got scared and darted in and hit the wall it could break its back, bigger tank small fish is when the fish can get enough speed to harm it's self, but it DEFINITLY will be put in a long and wide tank as soon as he gets to maturity =) florida gars are cool, it seems like he alredy recognizes me, because I'm the only one that feeds him he sits there and stairs at me lol. I just got his name made up, he is " Dante "
What is the approximate size tank to properly house a fully grown Florida Gar? It seems an extremely large tank is needed when they are adults...

phoenixkiller said:
What is the approximate size tank to properly house a fully grown Florida Gar? It seems an extremely large tank is needed when they are adults...

It's going to need a 8 foot long tank, but only needs to be 1-2 feet deep, I'm going to need a fantastic filter system for that! Lol

My plan is to have 3- 55 gal barrels with stands built into them and have the water go down through all the material and when it gets to the bottom it will be pumped out to the next and so on them the last one will be pumped back to the tank with a spray bar attached to the top, it would be a clean, and the floor would always be dry =)

Hey that picture, it was in a net, and I'm guessing the net has two poles one it? We call that "sanein" around here, that's how we get our minnows for fishing =) could you pm me if you have any live plants or drift wood for sell?

Actually its a dip net. I have done some seine netting but it's not really my favorite thing since it requires me to get into the water lol.

I got a really great heavy duty dip net made just for collecting fish. Anyone who gets serious into collecting natives should look into one of these. There are some other places that make them also, but this is the particular one that I got.

Jonah's Aquarium... The Perfect Dip Net

Back
Top Bottom