Opinions Please: What Fish are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which type do you think?

• Platy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Molly

• Don't Know

• Total voters

TashGaia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my LFS the other day were some fish that I liked and so I bought them. They were labeled as "Gold Dust Molly" but I think that they are Yellow Tuxedo Platies. They are the same size as adult platies. They are very happy in the platy tank. The male "Mystery Fish" tries to court my female platies, and my male platies try to court the female "Mystery Fish". I do not know how to tell male/female with mollies... I am judging male/female based on my experience with platies.

Anyways, you can see some pictures here:
http://assighdesigns.com/mysteryfish/index.html

Please note, I do know that the two individual fish shots are both the female. When I was taking the pics I tried to get one of each, but when I was looking at the pictures later I saw they were opp sides of the female.

Looks like a platy to me. Also, you can determine sex in platies the same way as mollies(and any other livebearing fish).

Males have a gonopodium, females have just a regular back fin.

my guess is that it is a variatus platy (Xiphophorus variatus) attaining a length of 2in. it breeds with platies, and is often mistakenly named at a molly in LFS.

Back
Top Bottom