Orange smoking algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum_crazy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first posting on any forum ever! I have a 55 gal. I get the occasional brown algae on the glass and plants. No harm easily cleaned. Generally have no problems with keeping fish alive some would probably be concerned at my choice of mixture it wasn't on purpose but bizarre enough they co-exsist with little to no issues. Anyway to the point, I was doing a water change and as I was filling the tank back up some brown algae I missed on the back of the tank turned slightly orange and looked like cigarette smoke in the water :?: . I have never seen this before and by the time I was done filling the tank it was gone. Any clue to what it is or if I should be concerned? Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

Welcome to AA! Glad to have you here. Personally I've not experienced the phenomenon you are speaking about, but if it was gone in a minute and doesn't come back I would not worry.

I've never seen an occurrence as you describe either. I would definitely monitor the spot you saw it emanating from just to be sure.

Generally have no problems with keeping fish alive some would probably be concerned at my choice of mixture it wasn't on purpose but bizarre enough they co-exsist with little to no issues.

I'd be interested in knowing what species you have.

Could it have been a clump of scraped-off diatoms or something that had just settled there, and then just got broken up again when you poured the refill water on it?

Thanks for the replies, I'm worried noone has any info, hopefully it won't harm my fish, thanks again.

I think Sicklid might have the explaination. Sounds like a clump of diatoms or other algae that was semi-attached to the glass. The color is a bit odd though.

What do you add to your water when you do a PWC? The only time I've ever seen what you describe is when actively trying to kill algae with a harsh oxidizer (bleach, peroxide). Then depending on the algae type it can turn all sorts of odd colors (red, orange, black, etc.)

I was thinking mold and spores. I had some mold under my lid where some food had stuck.

Back
Top Bottom