Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vindogg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone.. Recently purchased an Oscar had it for 3 days now n it lies their hopelessly any help with why?
My water levels are fine n it in a tank on it own that's bin cycled

How did you acclimatize the fish?

How big is the tank?

What exactly are your parameters?

All levels are low ph is 7.
17. Ltr tank
Left in bag for 40 mins

Unfortunately, that tank is way too small for an oscar, and he is probably stressed. You would need at least a 280 liter tank for the fish to be healthy and not stressed.

That being said, I would do a partial water change anyways. It never hurts and usually when fish are lethargic, it has to do with water quality. The pH number itself isnt all that important. Stability is important. Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates are the most important ones to check.

Well I'd thought that with the size of the tank but the Oscar is rather small I do intend on getting a larger tank for it after the holidays. It does seem to be feeding tho

Yeah it's been set up for months did have a previous fish in their that I put in my main tank

Ok did you test for Ammonia,Nitrate and Nitrite your problem could be there.if you can't test then do a 10% water change every day for a week and see if anything changes if not you might as well put him in your main tank if that is possible.
Stressed he can't be to much cause they normally come out a over stocked small tank at the LFS. like I say just do the water changes.

Yeah great I will do can't put him in main tank their social fish

I'd say the two most likely options are...

1. The tank you acquired the fish from had different a different nitrate/PH levels and this has sent the fish into shock
2. While the tank may have been cycled it certainly wouldn't have been by enough to support an Oscar, young or not.

I really doubt an oscar could live longer than a couple of weeks in a 17L

Right ok well sat watching it now it seems to have perked up at the minute I will keep u updated to see if the Oscar makes it over the next few weeks till I can aquire a larger tank for him

Back
Top Bottom