Otos died then Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pitt4dude said:
Also JChillen, does the brown diatom algea go away on its own? I have it pretty bad right now only on areas that face directly up (facing lights).

No...you've gotta manage that manually. Depriving the diatoms of nutrients is the first step. Since diatoms is common in a newly established tank, plus you have live plants which are competing for the same nutrients (light, detrius, NO3, etc.) you will need to increase your PWC's. This will help reduce the amount of free floating diatoms and keep them from gaining a foothold. They will disperse after awhile (and probably never return).

Great sorry to hijack this thread. The blue ram cichlids I purchased are doing well and I have had them three days now. I hope I get past the point where they are adjusting. More Q's about breeding: Bettter two females and one male or two males and one female or one single pair? I am pretty sure I have one female (pinkish belly) and two males (brighter colored higher spiked dorsal fin). Will they not breed if other big fish are in the tank? (4 larger sized gouramis about 3 inches.)?
So sorry about your luck zilla! :cry: I think my rams are my favorite fish so far! I would be very upset but it happens and it may not have been your fault. Dont give up and get right back at it. Before you know it you will have little eggs and more rams than you know what to do with. :D

Zilla, given that the Otos and Rams died, did you get them from the same LFS. Since the lfs's otos died too, then maybe you should try a more reliable store, losng one or 2 fish...maybe....losing more means something is up.

normal this lfs is very reliable. checked water tonite 0.25ammonia 0nitrite 0nitrate ph 7.4 could that little of ammonia got them.

That small amount of ammina would not have kiiled them by itself. But if you added them and ammonia went to 2 ppm and they were stressed or in poor condition, then you would have problems. Trace ammonia is due to the bacteria in the filter catching up to the increased bioload. Check the water for ammonia tomorrow.

Adding too many fish in a short period of time can cause ammonia to rise. "Too many" fish depends on how you do the dosing for the fishless cycle.

*edit. P.S. while I was splitting the post I noticed that you added the Rams on Friday and the rest on Sunday. I think the cause was adding the fish a bit quickly. Try to wait about a week before adding new fish.. ie Rams.......7 days......Rummynose...7days....Corys......etc

rams were on thursday and other were on sunday. so i should wait until next sunday to add more fish uh. ok. i been trying to do water change of 10% every 2 days as i add fish. thought that would take care of the bioload problem.

Back
Top Bottom