over feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kangarooooooooo

Aquarium Advice Regular
i haven't fed my fish today yet, but then i stuck in some zucchini as a snack. if i leave the entire slice in there for them to munch on can they become over fed?

How big of a piece? What kind of fish?

I put one slice of zucchini in my 29 with snails, otos, and saes. I leave it there until it is gone. I do the same with greens. Never had a problem.

I leave veggies in the tank for a max of 24 hours. After that I find it gets too slimy and makes the water cloudy. You won't overfeed the fish if you don't put an entire zucchini in there.

Like Zagz, I find that many veggies turn mushy after several hours and need to be removed. The fish don't seem to eat them after they turn slimy.

no one here believes me, but its alot harder to overfeed fish than people admit.

i put in, half of a large cuccumber or zucchini in for my pleco and farlowellas (though the pleco gets (95%) and the pleco is able to eat much more than his body weight over night.

you're fine, even otos will stop before they explode

I think vegetables are more difficult to over feed than say flake food. First of all the more aggressive fish will "protect" their food, and spend a good deal of time guarding it. Second its not as easy to get a lot of food quickly as it is with FD/flake/ or other individual bite sized pieces.

I weight down or pin a hunk of vegetable and leave it in the tank for 1/2 a day or so. Normally there is something to take out and pitch in my case.

neilanh said:
I put a slice of cucumber in yesterday. It's yet to be touched.

Fish are finicky critters. Sometimes my fish require a little bit before they eat something, other times they go right at it. Some people blanch their vegetables (boil for a second or 2), others feed raw.

I would not keep any food in the tank more than 24 hours. I personally take the food out after ~16hours.

7Enigma said:
I think vegetables are more difficult to over feed than say flake food. First of all the more aggressive fish will "protect" their food, and spend a good deal of time guarding it. Second its not as easy to get a lot of food quickly as it is with FD/flake/ or other individual bite sized pieces.

tell that to my pleco, he demolishes the thing in 9 hours, if you can eat your entire body mass in 9 hours, you can't be overfed

hc8719 said:
7Enigma said:

tell that to my pleco, he demolishes the thing in 9 hours, if you can eat your entire body mass in 9 hours, you can't be overfed

But as someone already mentioned, fish will eat far more than they require because instinct tells them "this may be the last meal you get for a good while"...
Fish are not humans, they don't decide "ok, I'm full now, I think I'll get a cup of coffee to wash that lovely meal down" ;-)

Please keep in mind that there is also a difference between overfeeding a fish and overfeeding a tank.

Overfeeding a fish would lead to an overweight fish with health problems and is definately more likely with certain species. It also leads to excessive waste and in some species the food won't be properly digested because it is pushed out of the fish's system by the new food.

Overfeeding a tank, results in more food than the fish can consume and if left it will rot and pollute the tank and/or cause a pest snail population explosion.

neilanh said:
I put a slice of cucumber in yesterday. It's yet to be touched.

As someone mentioned, fish can be picky. I had a piece of zucchini in my 40g for 24 hours, Clown Plecos never went near it. Pulled that piece out and presented them with a new one, six hours later it was completely gone including the rind.

With so many shrimp and snails in my one 10g, I find it hard to keep up with feeding. :lol:

I find panda cory and otto do not eat zucchini and cuccumber very much in the first day but will eat more after that.

coldmachineUK said:
But as someone already mentioned, fish will eat far more than they require because instinct tells them "this may be the last meal you get for a good while"...
Fish are not humans, they don't decide "ok, I'm full now, I think I'll get a cup of coffee to wash that lovely meal down" ;-)

lets just get some things straight before we get a debate started
1. half a cuccumber did not kill the pleco
2. i feel fish should be fed more than once daily
3. fish are not humans, you guys feel you need to inform me this. i know many of you feel that this feeding pattern is to close to a humans, and therefore, wrong.

Back
Top Bottom