Painting back of the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got the paint and the roller, so here's what I'm planning on doin.
Laying the tank on its side then doing one layer of paint, let it dry for 3 hours then another coat? Is that all? Should 2 coats be good?

Hi firstly you do not need to lay the tank on its side - but it will help in not getting runs in the paint though. If you lay it on evenly it shouldn't run{drip} I personally would leave it 24 hours between coats,mainly because glass is a very smooth surface which paint finds hard to adhere {stick}too. Also what paint are you using? Is it an acrylic paint {water based? in other words it what you put in the paint to thin it down.

Not sure what type, but the brand is Bher, got it from Home Depot. How many coats would you suggust?

I would paint it just like you wanted. 3-4 hours between coats is plenty. The main thing is not to put on think coats, especially for the first. Go thin and do two coats then check how complete the coverage is by holding a light behind the paint and look at the other side. If light is bleeding through it'll need a third coat, if not then it's perfect. That's the easiest way to check it. Good luck. It's really easy.

Btw, pretty much any paint will work.

Hi I do not know the make of that paint,but that doesn't matter. I would put on two coats and then have a look and see how it looks and if your happy then its job done(y) One tip though is when you have painted the back,if you can shine a light on the back from behind the tank and then look from the front so if you have any gaps in the paint the light will shine through and then you can simply touch the miss in - hope that all made sense:oops: I didn't do that on my tank and had a miss smack bang in the middle so when I insulated the tank I could see the white polystyrene,very annoying:lol:

Back
Top Bottom