Panda Platys getting aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonDaZwon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a 50 gallon fresh water tank and in it I currently have 3 Panda Platys, 5 Black Skirt Tetras and as of now, 4 silver hatchetfish.

Two of my Platys have taken to harassing the other fish in the tank, primarily the Hatchets as they are the smallest fish in my tank. This is just a recent thing after having the tank set up for around 3 months.

Yesterday I found one of my Hatchets swimming sideways and upside down, and upon closer inspection it seemed like his back fin was almost broken off and he was not moving it.

I'm wondering if there's any way to stifle this aggression, or should I just remove the Platys into a separate tank, as I have a few other tanks available.

Thanks,

Also, if this is in the wrong sub-form, I apologize, feel free to move it accordingly.

Jon...

Platys are normally very peaceful fish. I find that all fish are calmer in a tank that has a heavily planted surface. Anacharis, Hornwort and Water sprite are fast growing and don't need to be planted in the bottom material. They'll grow quickly just floating on the surface close to the light. Just separate the stems and drop them into the tank.

Keep the tank water waste free by removing and replacing most the tank water every week. Traces of dissolved fish waste will stress your fish.

B

I just did a half water change and typically when I do so I do like a surface gravel vac. Today I just pushed the gravel vac to the bottom of the tank and behold - a bunch of brown residue under the gravel. I didn't think about the possibility of it ending up there, and just cleaned it all up. Hopefully this'll help, but if anything next paycheck I'll try to pick up some additional plants, it's only lightly planted at the moment. Thanks BBbradbury!

Easiest and best remedy for aggression is removal or timeout in a breeder net. I had a mean discus that got timeout in a breeder net for a day then was fine.

What are the sex of the platies? Male livebearerscan get very pushy sometimes

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom