parameters i'm just not understanding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I setup my mothers tank quite a few weeks ago. just a little 5 gallon with a betta and a snail. she's got plants, heater, a filter. it was seeded with gravel as well as a filter from one of my tanks. i went over there yesterday and on a whim tested her water. no nitrate, no nitrites but her ammonia was about 2ppm. what the ****? her fish and her snail are just hunky dory. why would it look like the tank is completely not cycled? :confused:

Maybe you killed all the bacteria off during the filter move. How long and how did you move it?

Maybe you killed all the bacteria off during the filter move. How long and how did you move it?
threw it into a ziploc baggy and drove the 2 minutes to my mom's house. same thing i did with the gravel. i set this tank up over a month ago now. even if i DID kill off all the bacteria, wouldn't it have re-established itself by now

one would think so.. but for now it's PWC and check and repeat.. maybe bring another filter pad over and drop it to the bottom if you have one to spare

Any water changes? treating the water? Perhaps some chlorine got through.
It may be possible I suppose that the bacteria died off before the betta and snail produced enough to feed it, especially considering the plants may be competing for nutrients?

My first recommendation is to take some water to the lfs or another hobbyist and have it tested to be sure it is accurate.

Back
Top Bottom