Parrot fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want a parrot fish, or two.. or whatever. What are their tank mates? and is there anything special I need to know about them?

Which parrots are you talking about? Blood parrots? Parrotfish (that are SW)? Or the other freshwater parrotfish?

I'm guessing you mean Blood parrots. Those are the ones with the funny faces that come in a zillion colors. Some important things to know:

They are not a natural breed. Theres a lot of controversy about exactly what they are (I've read everything from a convicts, severums, red devil cross, midas cichlids being crossbred, to they being a severum mutant), but do know you won't ever find one in nature.

The only natural colors are the orangey yellow ones; any other colors you see, especially the purple/blue ones are artificial and thats NOT a good thing for fish.

Because of their shape, they are deformed. The mouth is especially an issue, and often as they get older they lose the ability to close it.

On the other hand, they are extremely personable, and are often described as doglike in their enthusiasm and ability to recognise people and be trained.

awww (thats a "thats not good" and a "thats so cute" awww)

I think they were the blood parrots yes they are fw. At my lfs they had some and Im just drawn to them. How are they artificial? Er, what is done to them or whatever that makes them like that?

lyquidphyre...

The blood parrot cichlids are the end result of selectively breeding different types of cichlids together (and nobody is exactly sure which cichlids were hybridized to come up with this variation). They are 'artificial' in that no cichlid that looks like blood parrot cichlids ever swam wild on this planet (unless somebody put them in a river or lake somewhere).

Many people like the blood parrot cichlids...they certainly are good sellers. They do have the aggressiveness of their cichlid parents and, as Allivymar stated, have been bred for a particular body shape that has resulted in them having what appears to be a curved spinal column and being unable to completely close their mouths. Basically....blood parrot cichlids are the piscine equivalent of the Pekingese dog!

Oh...when Allivymar posted about colors being artificial....that's exactly what was meant. Blood Parrot Cichlids that are anything but yellowish or reddish-orange have been treated with some sort of dye that turns them the various colors (like blue). Much to my displeasure...I saw some Oscars in my lfs that had been given the same dye treatment....I think they called them 'Blueberry Oscars'.

Personally I think anybody who would do that to a fish should be SHOT!!!! But then...I guess I do get a bit violent when I'm not taking my medications! :lol:

Ah, I didn't know if she meant "dyed" or not. Are the pink ones dyed? (probably Im guessing).

I have just always liked them. I'm the type that likes the deformed, quirky fish. Are they healthy despite the spine and mouth problem? Are they genetically dyed? or... ?

I would really like one, but if they aren't healthy (all things considering) or they end up being more trouble than they are worth I would pass.

I just put black gravel in my guppy tank (planning to sell my guppies) and the back is black and I wanted a larger, striking fish and the hot pinkish and orange ones would be so nice.. and i just like them.

This might sound like a stupid question but would dwarf puffers work well in that tank? Because they are both aggressive?

I have a 40 gal- how many parrot fish could I put in that tank because?

So many questions.. hehe TIA

Barney said:
http://www.sydneycichlid.com/dyeing.html

Check this link. It will help you understand how fishes are dyed.

What is the difference between the glassfish and the parrot fish in how they are injected? Because I can visually see the "paint" on glassfish when I see them in fish stores and they look "fake" but it looks more "natural" in a parrot fish

The parrot cichlid is a artificial fish that has been made up by some weird guy with a syringe, some eggs, and sperm. It is a frankenstein fish, as Alli said nobody really knows what fishes have been used. They also say that these fish are infertile and can not be breed, but i think that nature will take over and sort that out.
As i have said to Allivymar before the parrot cichlid was produced just to make money and it has worked. Someone has made a mutant fish and made millions of $ out of it.
That is the thing about this hobby, nobody knows what will happen next.

Back to your question, you can keep quite a few different kinds of fish with a parrot cichlid. Like Alli said the mouth on a parrot is very small so as long as the fish you are keeping with it grows bigger than there mouth they should not eat it. The one thing to remember though is that it is a cichlid so it will have aggressive tendencys, even though they are infertile they will still try to breed and that is when cichlids are at there most aggressive stage.

While I loathe the blood parrots (LOL sorry lyquid) I have done some research on em. The best page I found is here: http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/general.html . It gives some nice basic info on em, as well as discusses the only "true" colors (as opposed to dyed) the parrot comes in.

Oh, and not only are they mutants which are frequently dyed, there is a NEW mutated version of the blood parrot; this one comes without a tail *sigh*

Sorry to interupt...That geocities web site about blood parrot is no longer updated. The best place to get more in depth information on these fishes is at the Blood Parrot Forum itself. These folks keep, raise, have first hand experience on these kind of fishes.

lyquid- Almost every questions you need is over there.

Thank you for all ur help and imput. I'm not sure I want one anymore (Im sure my opinion will teeter on the fence when I go to my lfs and see them again). I don't like the fact they are dyed but I wouldn't want a non dyed one. I just thought they were cool pink fish with personality.

I have to admit, they are really personable. I can understand the attraction there. However, my angels are just as personable, and while definitely domesticated, are never dyed and are usually healthy. They line up in a row whenever someone peers into the tank, and one of em even wags his tail LOL Another one will take food from the hubby's hand.

Many of the cichlids are fun like that; if you are looking for a fish thats more like a dog LOL you might want to consider some of the others. For example, if you have a large enough tank, oscars are well known for their amusing properties, and some folks have even taught them simple tricks.

Oh and I hadn't realised that site was outdated Barney. I really like the discussion on "true" blood parrot colors. I'll add the forum to my list as well :)

Im not sure I want an Oscar... hehe. I plan on separating my tropical fish from my goldfish (once I sell the guppies from the overstocked tank) so I want something that will go well with the fish I have. However, I want something big (like the parrot fish).

Remind us what fish you do have...and just call me Al. Al Z. Heimer, cause I don't remember LOL Maybe we can figure out what other options you have for tankmates.

har har *slaps knee*

I have a pleco, 3 brilliant rasboras, 5 head tail lights, 2 het rasboras and 4 small neaon tetras (there were 11 but someone is eating them and im not sure who)

I like the glass catfish (or is it ghost catfish) but I want something big-ish. Im going to get my het rasboras to schooling size as well. Im not sure if I want to keep any guppies or platys for my tank. I might keep my platys because they are white irridecent and red and that goes with the silver/shiney theme Ive got going.

But like i said, I would like something big *nod*

Actually, if its glass cats you're interested in, they could be your big fish. Glass catfish {Kryptopterus bicirrhis} can top out at 6 inches, and need to be in a school. If you go with them you'll likely not have room for much else anyway.

hi, i also have parrot fish, i would like to point out that they can be aggressive fish if they are live fed. i have 1 lfs that feeds them live feeder fish and every time the lady puts her hand in they tank she gets bit. however i do buy them from another lfs and they are exactly like the dog story. mine come right up to the front of the tank every time i walk by. i keep mine with silver dollars angel fish and a bala shark. they are only a little aggressive with the silver dollars, but the silvers are fast and just get away. i absolutley love mine, i have friends that went out and set up tanks just because they liked mine so much. :D

Back
Top Bottom