Ph crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tianna8999

Aquarium Advice Regular
3 guppy have died today... my ph is at 8.4 And I used a bunch of ph down and it keeps on showing 8.4 idk what to do. I don’t want to wake up to any more dead fish

Hi. You need to do some big water changes, at least 50% every few days. Buffers are fine but you'll need to find a cause of why its staying high.

A pic and some details of your routine would help. Lighting times, feeding, how often you clean it and do water changes, what subtrates, rock, plants, how new the tank is. As much info as you can give will help.

Hi. You need to do some big water changes, at least 50% every few days. Buffers are fine but you'll need to find a cause of why its staying high.

A pic and some details of your routine would help. Lighting times, feeding, how often you clean it and do water changes, what subtrates, rock, plants, how new the tank is. As much info as you can give will help.

Thank you for responding. I got the tank off Craigslist. Cleaned it. Filled it up with water and conditioned it. It was sitting for like a week with sand only. Yesterday I tested the water. The PH was high but ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 so u got ph down and got the ph to go down to a 7.8 then added fish. 2 dwarf gourami 5 guppy 3 females 2 male. 2 shrimp. Right away a male guppy was acting slow. Today I came home to 2 dead guppy and my shrimp are acting slow. Tested the water and ph is 8.4. I fed them normal 2 times a day. Is day 2. I’m super sad but it is my first tank. Any info will help. Thank you so much

Ok can see a few big issues already. You are way over feeding them. Once every few days is enough. You have added a huge lump of wood after your water started settling down. I hate to say it but the rest will probably die too. You should always wait before adding fish. The wood will be leeching tannins etc but needs to be soaked for a while first. All this is called cycling. Can take up to a month. If they do die hold off for a few weeks, do your water changes and let it settle.

Ok can see a few big issues already. You are way over feeding them. Once every few days is enough. You have added a huge lump of wood after your water started settling down. I hate to say it but the rest will probably die too. You should always wait before adding fish. The wood will be leeching tannins etc but needs to be soaked for a while first. All this is called cycling. Can take up to a month. If they do die hold off for a few weeks, do your water changes and let it settle.

The wood was in there before the fish. You think there’s anything I can do to save them ???

May be worth getting your water tested for other things too at your lfs. Phosphates, gh and kh. Start with your big water changes first and cut your feeding right down

Don't mess with the pH. The fish will adapt. You will kill the fish trying to chase the pH.

Your tank isn't cycled and more than likely why your fish are dying. Start doing 50% water changes daily until you can get an API freshwater test kit (liquid test kit). The water changes will keep your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates down. Don't buy anymore fish. Leave the ones you have in there. Essentially, you will be doing a fish in cycle. This can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks so be patient.

Don't mess with the pH. The fish will adapt. You will kill the fish trying to chase the pH.

Your tank isn't cycled and more than likely why your fish are dying. Start doing 50% water changes daily until you can get an API freshwater test kit (liquid test kit). The water changes will keep your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates down. Don't buy anymore fish. Leave the ones you have in there. Essentially, you will be doing a fish in cycle. This can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks so be patient.

I cycled it already and I have that test all test came out good except for ph which was high I just did a 50% water change and the ph seems to be at 7.5 right now I took most of the food out. Did I do that right? IMG_4335.jpg

I cycled it already and I have that test all test came out good except for ph which was high I just did a 50% water change and the ph seems to be at 7.5 right now I took most of the food out. Did I do that right? View attachment 310578

After the water change one guppy is alone now and just swimming/chilling at the bottom of the tank... I’m scared for her because that’s what the other two were doing before

I cycled it already and I have that test all test came out good except for ph which was high I just did a 50% water change and the ph seems to be at 7.5 right now I took most of the food out. Did I do that right? View attachment 310578

Putting sand in a tank for a week is not cycling a tank. Like others have said you need to do 50% water changes and get a test kit that is valid. Having 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate points to the tank not being cycled.

Putting sand in a tank for a week is not cycling a tank. Like others have said you need to do 50% water changes and get a test kit that is valid. Having 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate points to the tank not being cycled.

Ok I’m sorry if I did everything wrong guys. I am welcoming all the info and knowledge you guys are giving me or are willing to give me. I hope I can keep them alive and I will keep posting updates.

Autumn has a great link. If you got all zero's on your tests then you aren't cycled. Fish in cycles aren't bad imo. You just have to do regular water changes.....50% every day to every other day. If you have, or if you need to get an API freshwater master test kit test daily to every other day. Keep ammonia at .25 ppm no more than .50 ppm. Once you get nitrites keep it very low. No more than .25 ppm. If it goes above these levels do a water change. Remember, for example, if you have .50 ppm ammonia and you do a 50% water change then you will have .25 ppm ammonia. Remove the water necessary to keep the proper levels. We will help you through this....don't get discouraged.

Autumn has a great link. If you got all zero's on your tests then you aren't cycled. Fish in cycles aren't bad imo. You just have to do regular water changes.....50% every day to every other day. If you have, or if you need to get an API freshwater master test kit test daily to every other day. Keep ammonia at .25 ppm no more than .50 ppm. Once you get nitrites keep it very low. No more than .25 ppm. If it goes above these levels do a water change. Remember, for example, if you have .50 ppm ammonia and you do a 50% water change then you will have .25 ppm ammonia. Remove the water necessary to keep the proper levels. We will help you through this....don't get discouraged.

Thank you so much for this info and thank you to everyone else too

It is hard when you don't know what all to do to start and keep it going.

The thread in my signature on getting started is the best place to start.

It really has so much good info to keep you headed in the right direction.

Also these two are linked there
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Wow thank you. I don’t know why I thought everything testing 0 was a green light but this helps a lot I hope my Dwarf Gourami get through this

Back
Top Bottom