pH/feeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK. The pH in the drinking water around here is relativly high (7.7) and I have 2 bala sharks and a black shark, where the ideal water conditions for both types of fish to tolerate would be 6.8-7.0 It looks like my balas have been doing alright for the few weeks they have been in their new home, but I am wondering what I should do about this. If at all possible I would want to have the best water conditions for my fish, so would it be worth it to buy a reverse osmosis system or should I load up my tank with pH chemicals (a loosing battle I'm sure.)

Also if you have time,
I have been feeding my fish pellets, but what should I give them for veggies so they have a complete diet? Should I feed them little pieces of cucumber for their vegtable matter? Black sharks arnt supposed to do as well without a well balanced diet :D

Well Sharks are carnivours if I am not mistaken, so its good to feed them various food that have a good protien source now veggie, as for getting your water to the proper PH for your tank mates, I would just buy a ten gallon trash can exclusively just for tank matenance then disolve the water in that trash can and with chemicals get it to the right PH in your tank, then once it all the perameters are perfect-Temp & PH. then you can add it in your tank with no problem.

Hey Conan :) , first off I wouldn't touch the ph. If your fish are active and eating they've adapted well to their environment. Trying to reach the "ideal" ph will probably do more harm than good. Your fish are thriving now and ph swings stress a fish more than it's adapting what you've already provided.

Wardleys makes a product called veggie wafers. Give that a try.

Hrmm. I would guess at this point Conan has his answers; the original post was from May.

Back
Top Bottom